SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heads up on Flights I have booked 2 flights to go overseas for the end of Jun. They have both been cancel before departure date. When you call they tell you we will issue you a full refund. What they do not tell you is that the refund can take 3 months to a year. After this happened to me twice I did research. I found out that Lufthansa and others are using peoples money to stay solvent and pay their bills. I called my Credit Card company to file a dispute and they stated that they are overwhelmed with people filling disputes and understaffed. Also they are denying a lot of disputes for this issue since there are so many of them. Basically there is no protection for the consumer buy at your own risk. It is basically a " The check is in the mail situation"
In my case I will not have access to 7 thousand dollars till they decide to refund it. If they decide to refunded,Lufthanss has lost 2.1 billion in 3 months. This also means some airlines companies might not survive so who know if you will ever see your money.
Anyways I know this is not sailing related. That is why I made the post under off topic but if it helps someone not fall in the trap and deal with the stress and the interest if you cant afford to pay your card bill or need access to the funds etc. I figured it would be a good heads up.
Regardless Stay safe and happy sailing.

PS. moral of the story more pirates on land than in the water.

:cut_out_animated_em:cut_out_animated_em

·
Old soul
4,497 Posts

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
No Mike this is a HUGE sailing issue. There are hundreds if not thousands of people who have their boat in one country and them in another. We are among that group. Even in large countries like the US many people have their boat on a coast and they’re thousands of miles away from her.
For present our second home (boat) is safe but unaccessible. This is a huge stress emotionally and financially. I think this may be the case for the eastern Med and Caribbean as well as elsewhere.

·
Old soul
4,497 Posts
No Mike this is a HUGE sailing issue. There are hundreds if not thousands of people who have their boat in one country and them in another. We are among that group. Even in large countries like the US many people have their boat on a coast and they’re thousands of miles away from her.
For present our second home (boat) is safe but unaccessible. This is a huge stress emotionally and financially. I think this may be the case for the eastern Med and Caribbean as well as elsewhere.
True. My only home is my boat, and it is located in my own country, but in a place I'm not allowed to go to right now. I've almost given up on having any cruising season this year at all, and now my attention is turning to finding ways to get someone to look after my boat while it sits on the hard.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I don't know about Canada, but in the US, if an airline cancels a flight, you are entitled to a refund by law. I've heard that the airlines are routinely offering vouchers instead and banking on most passengers not knowing their rights.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know about Canada, but in the US, if an airline cancels a flight, you are entitled to a refund by law. I've heard that the airlines are routinely offering vouchers instead and banking on most passengers not knowing their rights.
Lufthansa twice told me a full refund no problem. A months later yea we are really backed up we do not know how long it can take. "Checks in the Mail"

·
Old soul
4,497 Posts
I think the problem lies in the fact that these flights are not technically cancelled. They are "delayed" for reasons beyond the control of the airlines. At least that's the line I've heard.

I think it's basically theft on the part of the airlines. But all too often I find that airlines operate in ways that others companies would never be allowed to. Over-selling seats, for example. How can an airline "sell" a service (a seat on a plane) which it doesn't actually have?

The only other comparison I can think of is banks, which can lend (and make profit from) money it doesn't actually own. No wonder I hold both businesses in such low regard ;).

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
True. My only home is my boat, and it is located in my own country, but in a place I'm not allowed to go to right now. I've almost given up on having any cruising season this year at all, and now my attention is turning to finding ways to get someone to look after my boat while it sits on the hard.
Do you need Ivan’s’ contact info?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts