SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I need to replace my heat exchanger. I have a 5416 16hp universal diesel. I removed the old heat exchanger and had it tested, the radiator guy said it's leaking and cannot be repaired. I think I've found an acceptable replacement online (mr. cool marine products) for about $250. They say they have a copper heat exchanger and a coppernickel heat exchanger and recommend the coppernickel heat exchanger for saltwater applications-which is where I sail. I wanted to research this myself a bit to make sure I purchase the best one that will be most corrosion resistant and best heat exchange capability. I know that replacing the Zincs is needed with either....but advice on whether I should buy the copper or the copper/nickel? Same price on their website for either one.

Thanks.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,642 Posts
Odd, they do come apart. I have the same engine. was it full of "pin holes"? I don't think you would go wrong with cupronickle

Reactions: douglasb

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Hello,

I need to replace my heat exchanger. I have a 5416 16hp universal diesel. I removed the old heat exchanger and had it tested, the radiator guy said it's leaking and cannot be repaired. I think I've found an acceptable replacement online (mr. cool marine products) for about $250. They say they have a copper heat exchanger and a coppernickel heat exchanger and recommend the coppernickel heat exchanger for saltwater applications-which is where I sail. I wanted to research this myself a bit to make sure I purchase the best one that will be most corrosion resistant and best heat exchange capability. I know that replacing the Zincs is needed with either....but advice on whether I should buy the copper or the copper/nickel? Same price on their website for either one.

Thanks.
The factory HX is a cupronickel tube pack.. A copper tube pack saves money but cuts into longevity...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, copper/nickel it is. Actually they are slightly more expensive than copper alone, but not significantly so.

Denise, they said there were several "tubes" damaged, they tried to repair them but it still leaked, I wasn't there when they tested it. For peace of mind a new one it is.

Thanks again everyone.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Copper nickel will last at least twice as long as plain copper regardless of sea or fresh raw water cooling. Well worth the extra pennies for the peace of mind

1 - 6 of 6 Posts