SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I need to replace my heat exchanger. I have a 5416 16hp universal diesel. I removed the old heat exchanger and had it tested, the radiator guy said it's leaking and cannot be repaired. I think I've found an acceptable replacement online (mr. cool marine products) for about $250. They say they have a copper heat exchanger and a coppernickel heat exchanger and recommend the coppernickel heat exchanger for saltwater applications-which is where I sail. I wanted to research this myself a bit to make sure I purchase the best one that will be most corrosion resistant and best heat exchange capability. I know that replacing the Zincs is needed with either....but advice on whether I should buy the copper or the copper/nickel? Same price on their website for either one.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, copper/nickel it is. Actually they are slightly more expensive than copper alone, but not significantly so.

Denise, they said there were several "tubes" damaged, they tried to repair them but it still leaked, I wasn't there when they tested it. For peace of mind a new one it is.

Thanks again everyone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts