SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how they get the damn heat exchanger off their Westerbeke W50. There are two bolts in the worlds most difficult place to reach. Of course many things on the motor are, not to mention I don't think the designer's at Tartan every thought about maintenance of the engine??? :mad:

I'm hoping their is some cool tool, but I'm guessing your going to tell me I'm going to have to remove the entire exhaust manifold :eek:

PS...do you think Tartan/Westerbeke would accept my chiropractor bills?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
T37Chef said:
PS...do you think Tartan/Westerbeke would accept my chiropractor bills?
Can't help you there, my friend, but I have a W-52 and may be looking at the same issue one day. I have all the technical and shop manuals for the W-52 (onboard and some distance away), so I can't give you any current advice, and they are different models, anyway.

I will ask this, however: 1) Why do you need it off, and 2) Have you heard of "crowfoot" wrenches?

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to take it off due to the engine running hot. I have done most everything else I can think of and its still running close to 200. A crowfoot wrench, I'll look into it.

I posted the same question on the Tartan 37 forum and got a great response from another. Looks like I'll e removing the exhaust manifold to get to the exchanger

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before I attempted to remove the heat exchanger and send it off to the radiator shop for a cleaning, I purchased something called "Barnacle Buster" (http://www.trac-online.com/barnacle-buster.html) and it worked like a charm. Engine is running cooler and somehow even seems quieter ;) It beats having to remove the damn thing...for now at least. :cool:

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I saw this stuff at a boat show, I'm glad it worked as I wanted to try it and I'm glad you did it first ......

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
So the problem wasn't in the FWC circuit itself, but in the raw water circuit going past it? That might not have been in the heat exchanger itself, but in any part of that RWC circuit...any restriction there is going to be like a closed thermostat.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who knows for sure, but since doing this to the motor it has been running cooler, even smoother, or so it seems

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Before I attempted to remove the heat exchanger and send it off to the radiator shop for a cleaning, I purchased something called "Barnacle Buster" (http://www.trac-online.com/barnacle-buster.html) and it worked like a charm. Engine is running cooler and somehow even seems quieter ;) It beats having to remove the damn thing...for now at least. :cool:

This info is worthy of a new thread to pass on the problem and the fix to everybody.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts