SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I just got a load of clear heat shrink (adhesive lined) in preparation for slowly rewiring my boat. Well, I put some on the end of some dock line and heated it up and I liked the results. Has anybody else done this before? It's kind of like a big shoe lace end. Being clear, I would think that moisture can eventually be dried by the sun. Can anybody see any downside to using heat shrink for this purpose? I am thinking of doing my reefing lines that are attached to the main. Last time out in a big blow they began to unravel. Anyway, thanks in advance for the input.

Fair winds, Bill

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Hi all. I just got a load of clear heat shrink (adhesive lined) in preparation for slowly rewiring my boat. Well, I put some on the end of some dock line and heated it up and I liked the results. Has anybody else done this before? It's kind of like a big shoe lace end. Being clear, I would think that moisture can eventually be dried by the sun. Can anybody see any downside to using heat shrink for this purpose? I am thinking of doing my reefing lines that are attached to the main. Last time out in a big blow they began to unravel. Anyway, thanks in advance for the input.

Fair winds, Bill
Hey, I like your thinking. I guess one question would be how it stands up to UV but that's about all I can come up with.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
My wonder would be as to how soft/flexible the ends would be? Whenever I use heatshrinkwrap, it seems to be somewhat inflexible.

marty

·
Coastal Traveler
130 Posts
I've seen it done before, but never done it on my lines. I also had a friend that used dip it. (for coating tool handles) It looks good, but don't know how it's still holding up.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Heat shrink that I have used sets pretty hard when it's done - I wonder how long it will last before being cracked and broken by beinbg bashed around.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
A proper line whipping, like a french whipping, only takes a few minutes to do. It doesn't affect the rope's flexibility as much... and doesn't risk damaging the rope due to exposure to high temperatures. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
We use it all the time. Seems to work great. You can even color code lines. I concede it's probably not as good as whipping but it sure is fast. We use a heat gun set on low so I doubt there's any line damage.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Try whipping with rescue tape, this stuff is great for all kinds of applications including line whipping

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
A proper line whipping, like a french whipping, only takes a few minutes to do. It doesn't affect the rope's flexibility as much... and doesn't risk damaging the rope due to exposure to high temperatures. :)

Thank you SD.
For cryin out loud guys. Heat shrink and Dip itty doo instead of learning how to do a simple whipping?
You all should be ashamed. :mad:

Heck, you could whip every end of every line on board your boat between beers on an average day sail.

·
Coastal Traveler
130 Posts
whipping

All of mine are whipped by hand, and it was margaritas, not beer. Thank you
By the way knothead, who pissed in your Cherrios today!
Remember, once upon a time, man had to kill animals with spears if he wanted to eat too.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Knotty, Dog,

you are right you bunch of old curmudgeons....whipping is the way to go but you know damn well that most people out there are not going to do it.

The dipping liquid stufff, I have used (yes KH and SD to my never ending shame !!) and the end result cannot be any softer than a heatshrink can it ?

I have to admit that dipping and waiting for the damn stuff to dry is almost as slow as a whipping.

The rescue tap thing is not a bad idea....that stuff is expensive but good for all sorts of things.

Actually peoples, it is true what Knothead and Dog say. A simple whipping does not take any time at all and properly done will last for ever and a day.
What's more any rope work....whipping, splicing etc is seriously good for the soul. Every sailor should keep some lengths of old rope at home and practice while you watch TV or listen to music. (even while making love if your significant other is up for it :eek: and mean tieing knots not whipping !!)

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Not the way some of these guys drink. :)

Thank you SD.
For cryin out loud guys. Heat shrink and Dip itty doo instead of learning how to do a simple whipping?
You all should be ashamed. :mad:

Heck, you could whip every end of every line on board your boat between beers on an average day sail.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
All of mine are whipped by hand, and it was margaritas, not beer. Thank you
By the way knothead, who pissed in your Cherrios today!
Remember, once upon a time, man had to kill animals with spears if he wanted to eat too.
There is a right way to do something and a wrong way to do something. Sure you can take shortcuts, you can take the easy path. But if you want to be a real sailor. If you want to be respected by the likes of Sir Francis, or Sir Maine or Sir Dog. You don't dip your lines in a can to keep them from fraying.
I don't how you could stand to be around yourself.
Be a real sailor, learn to perform a proper whipping.

:D

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
When'd Maine Sail and I get knighted??? :)

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
(even while making love if your significant other is up for it :eek: and mean tieing knots not whipping !!)
Now that's just disturbing. :laugher

nereussailor said:
Obviously you didn't read my whole post.
Yes, I did and I see that you are a whipper. I'm just yanking chains. I really don't care or think that it says much about a persons whether they whip or dip. As long as you never deploy a drogue from the bow.
;) Just having a little fun.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts