SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been brainstorming ways to take the chill off the head. As with most boats, the head door remains closed most of the time and thus doesn't get the normal flow of air that might heat it. The result is a chilling wake-me-up when you sit on the seat early in the morning.

Most all of the conventional heating options like propane/diesel wall mounted heaters are FAR too big to work for such a small space. What do y'all do to keep your head water from freezing?;)

I was contemplating the use of tea or other candles that are plentiful and cheap. I've taken the chill of many a tent with a candle and the total space to be heated seems similar. My concerns would be: burning the candle in an enclosure that would prevent ANY chance of it burning down the boat while I sleep, and possible soot issues that sometimes crop up when the wick gets too long.

Any thoughts or better ideas?

MedSailor

·
Crealock 37
676 Posts
I saw on another couples boat a solution they had. Their boat is equipped with a diesel forced air furnace, they ran ducting to the head. They rigged the ducting so that they could easily relocate it from the head to the adjacent hanging locker making a clothes dryer of the locker. Pretty handy in this climate.

If you have forced air heat perhaps this is an option.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
It is common to heat hot water with the engine. A loop off the engine in parallel to the hot water loop running to a small radiator in the head would probably do it.
You would have to run the engine a few minutes in the morning to take the chill off.
I have never seen this done so I'm just arm chair engineering here.

·
Registered
525 Posts
How about an oil lamp?

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just found a website that people might like. It's a rough calculator for how many BTUs you need to heat a given space. For us boat folk I would suggest always using the "poor insulation" choice.

BTU Calculator

MedSailor

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
In the winter I flush with a very weak antifreeze solution.

I've been brainstorming ways to take the chill off the head. As with most boats, the head door remains closed most of the time and thus doesn't get the normal flow of air that might heat it. The result is a chilling wake-me-up when you sit on the seat early in the morning.

Most all of the conventional heating options like propane/diesel wall mounted heaters are FAR too big to work for such a small space. What do y'all do to keep your head water from freezing?;)

I was contemplating the use of tea or other candles that are plentiful and cheap. I've taken the chill of many a tent with a candle and the total space to be heated seems similar. My concerns would be: burning the candle in an enclosure that would prevent ANY chance of it burning down the boat while I sleep, and possible soot issues that sometimes crop up when the wick gets too long.

Any thoughts or better ideas?

MedSailor
But that won't help with the wake-up!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
The candle is a good idea but if you are cutting gas at the same time, the burn off will help raise the temp in that small place.:D:D:D:D:D

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
12-volt hair drier to preheat the seat, and a nice ladylike padded seat because "padding" means "insulation".

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Campers use a candle lantern. A small glass and aluminum tube, fits a thick candle, which will burn safely for hours. I've used one to heat the cabin of a modest boat.

·
Registered
210 Posts
We use oil lamps onboard and they warm it up nicely. One like this could work in the head;

You could light it and in ten minutes you would have a warmed room.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts