SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I single-hand quite a bit.

I reef when hove-to with the jib up.

If I need to drop the jib I do it either when on a run and it is blanketed by the main, or if I have a downhaul rigged it will come down when close-hauled and I don't have to leave the cockpit.

The main I drop when coming in after I get under power and head to-wind.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dreamer -

Are you able to accomplish this w/o a tiller pilot?
Yes, I use a turn of line around the tiller tied off on either beam with enough tension to hold the tiller and still move it by hand. I have a type of tiller tamer as well but it eats line rather quickly.

With the tiller manageable I can lower sail and secure it. I'll lower a section, stop the halyard, secure sail, repeat until down. I don't worry about flaking it until I get back to dock. Then I flake it at the mast followed by the leach. I don't have lazy jacks either.

My boat is light and easily changes course by me shifting weight or a wake or a shift in breeze, so I am often making corrections with my foot.

This is what I do when coming in, it works in light air and calm water on lakes or behind a break. In heavier air, heave-to.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.