SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
I'm ok with good natured jokes about 1% 'ers from friends and people who know me, but it feels really weird when a total stranger screams it at you in earnest while you whiz past on a scratched up, 1981 Hobie cat that you literally paid $100 for.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Hey,

Last week I sailed in the regular Thursday night race. As we headed towards the first mark I saw a small powerboat anchored about 50 feet from mark, pretty much right in the path of the fleet, with a few guys fishing off it. We were leading, so as we rounded the mark and sailed towards him I said "hey, you have ring side seat to a sailboat race and in the next few minutes about 20 boats are going to be sailing right here." He said something like "that's fine" and then I hear him mumble "you don't own the water." Which is very true but it was also true that 20 boats were going to round that mark and sail right at him. I don't know anything about fishing, but I bet we were going to chase the fish away.

Anyway, the race had two upwind legs and the next time we approached that mark, the fishing boat was anchored about 100 yards upwind of the mark.

Just to prove I have nothing against powerboaters, and even, gasp, jetskiers, later that night, as we were coming in after the race, we passed a jetski with two people on it. The boat appeared to be dead. They had no lights and were drifting, trying to get the thing running. We turned around, threw them a line, and towed them to a dock so they could work on the boat without worrying about being run down or drifting out to sea.

Barry

·
美國佬
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Wait, I just found this (so I guess I didn't know where the line came from, duh):

So maybe they recognize sailing as one of life's finer pleasures?

·
Master Mariner
8,381 Posts
Aw who cares? I'm secure enough in my yachting to even drive a pink boat, should it be necessary.

Reactions: willyd

·
Registered
52 Posts
A 1080p dash cam, on board, will catch all shenanigans and even the vessels registration. If the guy with powerboat damaged your boat or anything aboard he is legally liable for damages. A small video chip given to local Harbor Patrol, sheriff or Coasties will do wonders. He will never pester anyone again.

I carry two dash cams. One facing fwd and one aft. they sell for 40 bucks at walmart.

It is a joy when you are going home later and you see the dude in powerboat boarded by the Coast Guard. Most chartplotter can display a jpeg 3 or 4 video in glowing color.

·
Land lubber
1,421 Posts
A 1080p dash cam, on board, will catch all shenanigans and even the vessels registration. If the guy with powerboat damaged your boat or anything aboard he is legally liable for damages. A small video chip given to local Harbor Patrol, sheriff or Coasties will do wonders. He will never pester anyone again.

I carry two dash cams. One facing fwd and one aft. they sell for 40 bucks at walmart.

It is a joy when you are going home later and you see the dude in powerboat boarded by the Coast Guard. Most chartplotter can display a jpeg 3 or 4 video in glowing color.
Did you tell the teacher when other kids teased you in grade school too?

And people wonder why this country is in the state it is in.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
The boat next to me is an Oyster 62, me on my 1982 Hunter 36. I have kinda wanted to ask him the same question. Actually a nice enough guy, but has never invited me over for sundowners.....oh well.
Chuck a vigorously shaken Pearl Light pint in his cockpit...at sundown. That should help.

·
3,506 Posts
Does that commercial still play? Seems like a long long time ago, must be some old farts out there to still remember that one. Yes, I've said it to sailboats passing by just for fun, no ill will intended. Not sure anybody gets it any more. Now I'm more likely to ask, What's for dinner? Usually get a few laughs, some times an invite. Relax a little out there...

Reactions: groggy

·
Dirt Free
2,654 Posts
Without being there, its hard to know the intent of the crew in question. All my sailing career I have experienced a spectrum of interactions from the power boat community that fall in a broad range from the jovial and collegial to the downright belligerent. I have had friendly waves and friendly conversations with folks on powerboats. But I have also had powerboats seemingly pass close alongside at speed just to fill my boat with water with their wake, and in at least one case, for no reason that I can discern, a powerboat veered hard towards me out in the middle of the Bay, passing at speed within a few yards of my boat, throwing a wall of water onboard, while the operator was busy shooting me the single-digit salute. I have had power boats yell at me for sailing in the channel, even when I was doing the speed limit for the channel, and power boats slalom in and out of a junior race fleet at speed, then turn around and come back and do it again several more times. I have had power boaters yell all kinds of obscenities at me simply for being a sailor. There is no explaining the depth of human perverseness.
As a powerboater (very low power) and sailor I can attest that there are just as many idiots under sail as there are without. My home slip for many years was next to the junior sail launch area. I couldn't count the times I've heard instructors tell the kids " don't worry about it, sailboats always have right of way".

·
Super Moderator
4,248 Posts
Agreed, big time. I sailed commercially for 20 years, most of it on inland waters, all of it on the bridge of a ship as either, Quartermaster, Mate or Master looking down at the interactions of pleasure craft, observing, talking, musing. I have never observed any co relation between method of propulsion and knowledge of the ColRegs, or courtesy for that matter.

Generally speaking if I'm working my way through a channel on a 250 foot ship I would rather take encountering a dozen power boats to a single sailboat. There are no shortage of sailors who know very well how to interact with commercial traffic, but there are no shortage of sailors who don't either. It seems there is something missing in sailing schools that allows new sailors to know their rights, but glosses over their obligations entirely.

Big items that seem to me to be missing from the tool kit of some sailors nav skills are the shall not impede concept in rule 9 (B) "(b) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway."

And one of the most basic rules that should be understood by pretty well any one on the water; the obligations of a stand on vessel (and therefor any sailing vessel claiming right of way over a power driven vessel) " Rule 17- Action by Stand-on Vessel
(a) (i) Where one of two vessels is to keep out of the way, the other shall keep her course and speed.". That means if you have to tack or gybe, you have failed to meet your obligations as a stand on vessel and should really try and find a way to let the powerboat pass before resuming your leg.

·
1968 Columbia 50
Columbia 50
436 Posts
I have never heard any heckling, but then again I have heard enough commentary after being involved in, or have seen a few less than perfect docking mishaps.. :grin

That said, when out we have made every effort to be respectful, even to the point of avoiding others by altering course a point or two to avoid a collision even when the stand on boat(just responsible). Sometimes people do make life interesting though...there is nothing like dodging 20 boats fishing in a narrow channel going every which way and 20' apart.

·
Administrator
9,054 Posts
Big items that seem to me to be missing from the tool kit of some sailors nav skills are the shall not impede concept in rule 9 (B) "(b) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway."

And one of the most basic rules that should be understood by pretty well any one on the water; the obligations of a stand on vessel (and therefor any sailing vessel claiming right of way over a power driven vessel) " Rule 17- Action by Stand-on Vessel
(a) (i) Where one of two vessels is to keep out of the way, the other shall keep her course and speed.". That means if you have to tack or gybe, you have failed to meet your obligations as a stand on vessel and should really try and find a way to let the powerboat pass before resuming your leg.
The other big one that we sailors tend to ignore is that the obligations of an overtaken vessel under COLREGS Rule 13- Overtaking (and which is identical under the U.S. Inland Rules that we are technically under) :
(a) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Rules of Part B, Sections I and II, any vessel overtaking any other shall keep out of the way of the vessel being overtaken.

(b) A vessel shall be deemed to be overtaking when coming up with another vessel from a direction more than 22.5° abaft her beam, that is, in such a position with reference to the vessel she is overtaking, that at night she would be able to see only the sternlight of that vessel but neither of her sidelights.

(c) When a vessel is in any doubt as to whether she is overtaking another, she shall assume that this is the case and act accordingly.

(d) Any subsequent alteration of the bearing between the two vessels shall not make the overtaking vessel a crossing vessel within the meaning of these Rules or relieve her of the duty of keeping clear of the overtaken vessel until she is finally past and clear."

Around here this routinely comes into play with sailboats overtaking powerboats who are trolling at slow speeds.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,484 Posts
The boat next to me is an Oyster 62, me on my 1982 Hunter 36. I have kinda wanted to ask him the same question. Actually a nice enough guy, but has never invited me over for sundowners.....oh well.
Ah... Have you thought of inviting him to your boat? Might try, eh? It worked for Fatty Goodlander with a fellow on a Mega-Cruiser Gold Plater visiting Fatty and Caroline's little rescued Hughes derelict. They became fast friends and the fellow later fronted Fatty a jar of Gray Poupon on his way out of the anchorage...

Reactions: RTB

·
Old as Dirt!
3,484 Posts
We were coming in from a nice evening sail last night and some guys in a motor-boat started yelling towards us, saying things like, "Do you have any Grey Poupon?" I couldn't catch the others, but they were similar. My sailing mates claim this was not meant as ridicule, I got the opposite impression. Your thoughts? How would you have responded?
Actually, that's simply good natured ribbing of a "slow boat".

We have a pretty fast boat and often sail past other boats on the same tack. I normally try to go to leeward to avoid fouling their air and as we pass, we will often call that out. Once a fellow answered yes. We luffed up to slow and he did, in fact, pitch over a jar (which we caught but then returned once we got back to the marina).

Lighten up, eh?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
You'll be really lucky if that's the worst encounter you ever have with a power boater. It wouldn't even get my attention. Just wave and move on.

He's probably just a drunk, jerk, so there's no point in trying comprehend.

·
Master Mariner
8,381 Posts
Now the little fishing boats in channels are definitely my weak point when it comes to patience.
Turning into the channel into Muskegon I saw there were literally hundreds of sub 20 foot boats fishing anchored in the channel, fishing. There was no clear path for my 80' motorsailor, so I put out a security broadcast. Not one of them moved.
Now I'm not too sure how many of you are adept at maneuvering a larger sailing vessel through a crowd of inconsiderate and ignorant anchored boats in a confined channel, but it cannot be done at idle speed. Steerageway is your only friend in this situation and for that vessel, steerageway was around 5.5 knots.
The saucer sized eyes and look of fear on these channel blocking fishermen was a joy to see as my 80 footer wove through the crowds of tiny John boats. But I got through without touching a one of them, though there was a considerable amount of fishing line around my prop shaft at the next haul out.
Of course, some of them complained to the USCG, who came down to the boat in response. I let the pimple faced teen speak for only a few seconds before I stated that I wanted to lodge a formal complain against them for not keeping a clear fairway in the channel. That took him a bit aback, but in the end they not only apologized, but cleared the channel for our departure.
I've had some similar problems with the USCG not bothering to keep the marked channels in the NE clear of trap buoys and it totally infuriates me. Not only is it a failure of the CG to manage the waters they are responsible for overseeing, but the fishermen seem determined to foul as many props as they can by using soda bottles and the like as floats, instead of highly visible fishing floats. This I don't understand, as lost gear is money out the window, so to speak.
I just don't see why you who sail (or power) in the NE put up with this sh*t. Why don't you demand that the CG do their job and maintain a clear channel wherever there is an official marked channel?

21 - 40 of 58 Posts