SailNet Community banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
12,120 Posts
We were sailing down parallel to Brewerton Channel one day and a 45 Carver kept bearing down on us. We stay way outside the channel. Under full sail we were. He wouldn't budge I finally did bear off as it was apparent he wouldn't.

He came to his rail screaming at us you blowboats are always in the way. I can't maneuver as I lost one of my engines.
I casually called backed to him.....I guess your like us.....as I only have one engine.

Most of my PB friends are good respectfull boaters. There's a few idiots in any crowd.

To be honest most of the issues I have ever had are with racers who need you to get out of their way and they start shouting all the Marcus of Queensbury rules att you. One day I ran a protethe flag halyard and made the start laughing.

Next time when they as for Grey Poupon.......toss them a can of Colemans or jar of mustard seeds.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Capta: Seriously, how many sub 20' fishing boats (or sailboats for that matter) have a radio on board and turned on? If you would read some of your posts from a third party perspective you might see why people form the prejudices they have. But then again, you might not.

·
Master Mariner
8,367 Posts
Capta: Seriously, how many sub 20' fishing boats (or sailboats for that matter) have a radio on board and turned on? If you would read some of your posts from a third party perspective you might see why people form the prejudices they have. But then again, you might not.
Gee, I didn't know there was some rule that excludes sub-20 foot boats from having a VHF radio on board, tuned to ch16, especially if one is intentionally blocking the only channel into the lagoon. Is that some inland/lakes rule?
This was at least a decade before cell phones, so a VHF was the only tool a prudent skipper would have to get assistance, should he need it. So, yes, I did expect at least some of those boats to have their radios on. Wouldn't you?
What would you have done? Hung around outside on the lake with your sails down, rolling your guts out, until those fine, courteous, fishin folks decided to mosey on home?
That's really not the best way to keep a good captain's job.

·
Super Moderator
4,237 Posts
I was about to come to Captas defence, but he beat me to it. The Securite call was really just good seamanship and due diligence. The folks really shouldn't have been impeding his passage in the first place.

No professional skipper wants to hit a small pleasure craft and potentially hurt or maim those on board. This could result in criminal charges and civil lawsuit.

Sometimes pleasure craft make it very difficult for professionals to keep them alive. I can't count the number of times, Securite, appropriate day shapes and all, when I have been on the bridge of a ship when the quarter masters knuckles were white and the mate and master have been muttering under their breath "don't you tack, not now, don't tack, don't you f'n tack". Boom they tack, twin engines- 4000 hp a piece hard reverse. The ship rattles and shakes, dishes break, crew stumbles and the ship misses the sailboat (racer usually) by mere feet. The WAFI goes home to brag and the Mariner curses the fool.

The sailor goes home to the club and brags about how much room he had and the Mariner curses, keeps on running, because it isn't a game for them and thank their lucky stars they didn't kill some idiot today.

·
bell ringer
4,800 Posts
never experienced anything I would consider heckling, now I feel left out

·
1968 Columbia 50
Columbia 50
436 Posts
Now the little fishing boats in channels are definitely my weak point when it comes to patience.
Turning into the channel into Muskegon I saw there were literally hundreds of sub 20 foot boats fishing anchored in the channel, fishing. There was no clear path for my 80' motorsailor, so I put out a security broadcast. Not one of them moved.
Now I'm not too sure how many of you are adept at maneuvering a larger sailing vessel through a crowd of inconsiderate and ignorant anchored boats in a confined channel, but it cannot be done at idle speed. Steerageway is your only friend in this situation and for that vessel, steerageway was around 5.5 knots.
Capta...I am just going to say that this is really funny, I didn't mention the harbor, but it was Muskegon in my experience as well. For us, we were going out in a Catalina 30, We were able to slow down and pause for a break in the mass of small fishing boats to make our way through. We made it, but there was not a lot of clearance...not what we would have liked. We always try to be respectful of other boats, but a huge mass of people fishing in a narrow channel will certainly drive me nuts. The only comment we heard on the way out was "good luck". As it was, the weather forecast that day called for 10-15 Knots and 2-4' waves, we exited the channel and it was blowing 25 gusting to 30 with 6-12' waves...not fun beating down the coast to Holland that day.

·
Old soul
4,544 Posts
I’ve had a few similar experiences with recreational fishing boats, although nothing on your scale Capta. I recall one time I was inside a marina on Lake Erie, making a turn into a row of slips. As I came around, this silly little 20-somthing open fishing boat with three ‘good ol’ boys’ was anchored right in the middle of the fairway, happily casting away. As we came around they were forced to haul in their lines, but didn’t bother to try and move. They gave us the stink-eye as we went by.

Another time were were coming up through a narrow gap in the 1000 Islands, dealing with some current. Smack in the middle of the navigation route, between two spars, was the same kind of open fishing boat with, you guessed it, three ‘good ol’ boys’. Never moved, looked annoyed at us, and forced us to take a more precarious path.

:mad:

·
Old as Dirt!
3,483 Posts
Unfortunately, our Spring Cruises always seem to correspond with the tarpon fishing tournaments out of Boca Grande. With that, coming into Boca Grand Pass can be a real pip:

Usually, giving five good blasts with an air horn will get these buggers to move enough to allow us to get through the mob. Unfortunately, some folks are very persistent at holding their "ground" until they suddenly realize that one is coming through the Pass, with or without their cooperation. Then they do move...quickly! Of course, as we pass we generally say "Excuse Us" or words to that effect. Rarely do we get more than cross looks...

·
Registered
919 Posts
Capta: My comment was not meant to be critical of you but an observation of human nature. It seems to me that far fewer people care or are aware of their surroundings, let alone follow some law or practice of etiquette. It is obvious when driving a motor vehicle, boat, or even pushing a shopping cart in a crowded store that the world is being overtaken by Mr. Magoo's. Just observing the actions of those trying to launch boats while waiting my turn at my local sailing spot confirms that "me and mine" thought process is very healthy in society.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Wife was at the wheel as we were going down the Chesapeake coming from the C&D. As we approached a bridge heard the following. Ship was a good size. Sail boat was maybe 30'. Ship captain was a lady with a pleasant soft voice. Sail boat had an aggressive hoarse edge to his voice. Ship was just starting to pass under the bridge coming up the channel. Sail boat was entering the channel to cross just north of the bridge.
Ship- sailboat off port bow please turn around or we will hit you.
Sail- no we have right of way.
Ship- not true we are draft restricted.
Sail- we are under sail and will continue.
Ship- please look at us. We are a ship. You will not even dent our bow. It will take us miles to slow down. Turn now or deal with the consequences.
Sail - oh

It's not the rudeness but the sense of entitlement that's so appalling.

·
Dirt Free
2,654 Posts
Once made the mistake of pulling out of Annapolis (to head upstream) on opening day of rockfish season. After over an hour of trying to weave through the cross channel trollers and making almost no headway we decided to try out our line cutter .... it worked :)

We spent the next hour being cursed on the radio. Strangely it didn't hurt my feelings at all :ship-captain:

·
Master Mariner
8,367 Posts
Ship captain was a lady with a pleasant soft voice.
Wouldn't that ship or any vessel over a certain size be under the command of a pilot in the Chesapeake? Pilots are a different breed. They have zero responsibility, so they can do things a bit differently that a captain.
They also have to deal with these idiots on a daily basis, so they have little patience to suffer the fools. Good on the Chesapeake Bay Pilot's Association for having at least one female pilot.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Ship captain was a lady with a pleasant soft voice.
Wouldn't that ship or any vessel over a certain size be under the command of a pilot in the Chesapeake? Pilots are a different breed. They have zero responsibility, so they can do things a bit differently that a captain.
They also have to deal with these idiots on a daily basis, so they have little patience to suffer the fools. Good on the Chesapeake Bay Pilot's Association for having at least one female pilot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/1999/10/11/a-pilots-passion/62d5f4bb-9618-4c26-b8e6-9ff582aa6510/?utm_term=.9d24158d8bf7

·
Super Moderator
4,237 Posts
∆∆∆

34 is a young pilot. I have a couple of friends with the great lakes pilotage authority, smart guys, dedicated. None of them made it before 40. They make crazy money. Impressive.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts