SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to you all,

My name is Yann, I live in the UK, I have just joined SailNet and am in the process of getting back into sailing, its been too long (26 years!) since I last sailed. All my sailing came as a youngster on my grandfather's Gib'Sea 41 Ketch (frome 1976/77) in the south of France and Mallorca.

After my Grandfather passed away in '95 the boat was sold and my sailing days too until 2019. I would love to trace down my grandfather's boat but its like finding a drop of water in the ocean! If anyone has any ideas or could offer some advice I would be grateful, I don't have the "registration/HIN" number as that would have been too easy, I have the name of the boat although it is very likely this was changed. the Port where the yacht was moored were unable to help as they changed their IT systems 10+ years ago.

There were only 22 units produced, I have located 6 of them.

I am trying to build the registration hull identification number but this is a challenge not knowing the "No. Serie" (5 digit) number.

Anyway, that's a little about me

Administrator
It's a boat. It's an expendable object.
Buy one, use it till it's stuffed then whack it on the scrap heap if you can't sell it.

Ships have never been built to last 100 years.

Buy your own boat. Live your own life. It's better than looking backward.

馃槉

Registered
I think it鈥檚 great you want to find your grandfather鈥檚 boat, he would no doubt be very pleased that you remember it so fondly. If it were a production boat you鈥檇 have no chance but with only a few made it鈥檚 possible, if unlikely. After all this time and with a boat so old it鈥檚 likely it no longer exists or is sitting in a scrap yard somewhere but crazy quests make life more interesting!

Is there a owners forum for that type of boat? That would be the best place to start.

If you can鈥檛 find it buy a boat you like, name it in honor of your grandfather and get out there and remember him by doing what he loved to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for your comments, it is a tough search and i have set a time limit to find it as I do need to get back out there!

Registered
Welcome aboard. I understand the sentimental value. Consider, even if you do find it, a 50 year old hull is very likely to be a money pit. Not the best financial choice for getting back on the water.

On very rare occasion, I drive by my childhood home. My memories of it are far better. There is truth in the saying, you can't go back. There is far more to one's recollection than the tangible stuff and the recollection itself can't be restored.

Reactions: Yann
1 - 6 of 6 Posts