SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New cottage summer resident on Batchawana Bay seeking to purchase used day sailor. Recommendations? NORDICA 16 or 20 perhaps? Thanks.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
Batchawana Bay is in Ontario on Lake Superior, right?
The Nordica 20' looks like a pretty serious boat for it's size: NORDICA 20 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
I wouldn't want to be out on Lake Superior in a storm on any sized boat but the N 20 looks like it could easily handle day sails and short trips.

Welcome to Sailnut.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Batchawana bay is indeed part of Lake Superior. Mouth of bay is approximately 18 miles north of the Edmund Fitz resting spot.

Agree, the Nordica 20 size wise would be ideal for the bay however, its draft is too deep for my rocky cottage shoreline. That's the reason I'm thinking about a Nordica 16 with an 18 inch draft. And yes, strictly for day sailing in the bay.

I share your respect for Lake Superior. I've sailed all the other Great Lakes, both oceans and the Gulf over the years racing NACRA cats and DN iceboats (GLs only) and in my Freedom 28 prior to selling her.

But Superior is a different. I'm only looking to day sail now in the Bay on something that is truly seaworthy yet with a shallow draft. Thanks for your input.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
I've never sailed on any of the GLs but they do have a reputation, the Edmund Fitz being just one of their 'prizes'.
I really like the shippy look of the Nordica 20' but I can understand you wanting less draft and hence the 16' with its 18" draft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts