SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The last time I sailed was 50 years ago when I was 15 years old. My wife and I recently retired and moved to Downeast Maine. The first thing we did was to purchase the sailboat we drooled over at the Annapolis Sailboat Show for years, a West Wight Potter 19.

We joined the local yacht club to get a mooring, since the wife doesn't want to be wasting an hour getting into the water and an hour getting out of the water, and 15 minutes driving back. The Mooring is about 4 minutes from our house.

So now at our advanced elderly age, all we have to do is learn how to sail her! We did find a young fella who is as old as I was when I first went out the Chessie. We are 50 years older than him!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Z,

Bah Hahbah is in the middle of some of the best cruising in the world. Yessuh! Get out there! If you're reasonably fit, have good problem solving skills and are safety conscious, you'rd almost there. Take a Sailing and Seamanship class from the USCGA, and start sailing. Let the mistakes begin! We all make'm but only a secure few freely admit to them. Sure, classes are good too, but people learn more from their mistakesthan their sucesses. I should be wick'd smart by now.

Don

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Z,

Bah Hahbah is in the middle of some of the best cruising in the world. Yessuh! Get out there! If you're reasonably fit, have good problem solving skills and are safety conscious, you'rd almost there. Take a Sailing and Seamanship class from the USCGA, and start sailing. Let the mistakes begin! We all make'm but only a secure few freely admit to them. Sure, classes are good too, but people learn more from their mistakesthan their sucesses. I should be wick'd smart by now.

Don
Thanks for your nice comments. Wife and I both took the USCGA course back in 2013. And I live, and always have lived by Murphy's law. We have a number of elderly locals who can't wait to start teaching us, one of whom sailed single handedly from BH to UK in a 24 foot sailboat 15 years ago. He claimed his biggest mistake was to not take enough Scotch Whiskey with him.

So... you know: Fools like us go where angels fear to tread.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Welcome. We were up in MDI this weekend and were reminded of just how beautiful it is. Haven't sailed there yet, but hope to in the next few years.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome. We were up in MDI this weekend and were reminded of just how beautiful it is. Haven't sailed there yet, but hope to in the next few years.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Ah! You were part of the MMD influx. You should see how empty things are in January, and how easy it is to park. Plus things that cost money in the summer are free in the winter. Its quite a close community int he winter with only 10,000 total on the island. By the 1st week in August the total increases to about 45,000.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The last time I sailed was 50 years ago when I was 15 years old. My wife and I recently retired and moved to Downeast Maine. The first thing we did was to purchase the sailboat we drooled over at the Annapolis Sailboat Show for years, a West Wight Potter 19.

We joined the local yacht club to get a mooring, since the wife doesn't want to be wasting an hour getting into the water and an hour getting out of the water, and 15 minutes driving back. The Mooring is about 4 minutes from our house.

So now at our advanced elderly age, all we have to do is learn how to sail her! We did find a young fella who is as old as I was when I first went out the Chessie. We are 50 years older than him!
Welcome Zarathu. There is nothing like sailing in Maine and the Maritimes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts