SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I am very new to sailing, and trying to get started with very little money. I have an old, 18ft Grumman aluminum canoe that I want to set up with a mast, leeboards, and a rudder. I am looking into making a balanced lug sail to get started.

I am also looking to join a sailing club here in Denver. It seems like a better way to get good advice about how to make my rig, and have some support when it's time to go to the reservoir. There are a number of clubs close to Denver, and I'm looking for advice on which might best suit me.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
J,

Don't doit! It'sa trick!

I certainly know the attraction of reinventing the sailing rig. Often times, this is money based. The truth is, though it may work, sailboats are designed by naval architects, accredited or seat-of-the-pants. Research, trials and tried and true models are used to designed balanced rigs. Slapping a mast on a canoe, though it will probably give some satisfaction, will probably be fairly unstable and possibly a bit dangerous. If you are seriously interested in the affliction of sailing, consider dumping about the same amount to purchase a 16 foot day sailor. Hey, the "experts" designed it for a price point. At any rate, enjoy sailing in whatever flavor you choose and welcome to the asylum!

·
Master Mariner
8,247 Posts
I hope you are a really good swimmer, because a sailing canoe is probably the one of the least stable sailing vessels ever invented. Therefore, you are going to be tipping over a lot in the beginning. Let us hope you have found a warm water lake near the mile high city.
You might want to check out how the Polynesians have outriggers on their sailing canoes to help offset the stability problem. Their designs would probably make a better, cheaper sailing boat out of your canoe.

·
Barquito
3,479 Posts
Adding a sailing rig to a canoe is a common thing. However, it may not be the best platform to learn to sail. Check with that local sailing club. See what they are sailing. If you are willing to do some work, you should be able to find a dinghy sailboat for about $500. However, the truth is that sailing is difficult to keep from being expensive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello. I’m not sure how much money you’re looking to spend, but it may just be worth searching your local ads for used Sailboats. There is a 15’ 1962 Lofland in Denver for $1,260. I would imagine you would be near that price by the time you modified your canoe. Either way I wish you luck on your journey.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts