SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals... I picked up windsurfing last year and ive become hooked on anything sailpowered. This sport has only further strengthened my desire to get a sailboat and the allure of being a liveaboard is getting stronger every day. Looking forward to learning a lot here.

·
Bring On The Wind
281 Posts
Welcome to sailnet,this is a great place to learn about this new passion (addiction) of yours. There are some fantastic threads that cover most of the nuances of sailing as well as a cast of colorful characters willing to share information with you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to sailnet,this is a great place to learn about this new passion (addiction) of yours. There are some fantastic threads that cover most of the nuances of sailing as well as a cast of colorful characters willing to share information with you.
Thanks!

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
Welcome to SailNet I would be game to try some windsurfing. It looks like fun. To many Irons in my fire now. Life is short. Make some plans and enjoy it.
Kind Regards, Lou

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey guys and gals... I picked up windsurfing last year
I started out on a windsurfer and it did not take me long to figure out that I couldnt bring my friends, cooler or even a sleeping bag with me. But it was a great way to learn about how to read the wind direction and strength, especially anticipating gusts. You learn to read the ripples and texture of the water. After all, there are no stays or lines on a windsurfer mast, just a scared human (me). And there is no rudder on a windsurfer. Some inexperienced sailors uses too much rudder to compensate for lousy sail handling/geometry. You know about location of sail effort already when you lean the mast forward and back to tack and gybe.

My only regret is I got rid of my windsurfer, would be fun to take it along as a dock dinghy/play toy.

Get you a small keel boat on a trailer with enough room for two to sleep on. You will sail more than anyone else at your marina!!

Good luck and welcome, Bruce

1 - 5 of 5 Posts