SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Novice sailor here from Newark, DE. I got my first boat, a 12.5" Oday Widgeon, last summer and went out to a local pond (Lums Pond) and promptly broke the mast step in an accidental jibe. Since then, I've taken ASA101 and have been in the process of repairing the mast step. I've been learning a lot about fiberglass, and am confident that the new mast step is much stronger than it ever was to begin with. I expect to complete repairs in the next 1-2 weeks and then go back to Lums, but I'm nervous. Any old salts in the Delaware area or nearby care to say hello?

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
welcome aboard! You may want to contact Rudy at D&R Marine.com he knows and has parts for all odays. a jibe in any boat can be hard on equipment. good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Denise and pleased to meet you!

I've already discovered D&R, they're great and I don't know what I'd do without them. The local shops don't stock a lot of even basic things (properly sized clevis pins, for instance) for my boat. I see you've got a big O'day, that's great. ^.^

·
"Nevis Nice"
224 Posts
Hello, tekphnx.

I used to live in Newark. I contemplated a Widgeon, but ended up buying a Hobie Cat 16. We sometimes sailed our Hobie on Marsh Creek reservoir, up in nearby PA. Never tried Lums. Sailing on those small lakes can be a lot harder than on the wider bodies of water, like the Chesapeake, because the winds are really shifty. Hope you get back on the water soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts