SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm returning to sailing after many years. My Dad and I had a homemade boat when I was about 10 years old. He taught me the basics on Hoover Reservoir near Westerville. My wife and I bought a Seaward Fox (17 ft) fractional sloop this past summer. The previous owner said it came with a jib. Turns out the jib is a genoa. I think it's a 130 - 150% based on the 3 times we sailed it. I'm not sure we are rigging it correctly. We're using the jib halyard and attaching the tack to a deck mount. The problem is with controlling the clew. It lays close to the deck which makes it hard to control, and the foot runs inside the lifelines. It seems like the genoa should be mounted higher on the mast and attaching the tack above the lifelines. Am I on the right track?

·
Master Mariner
8,554 Posts
Good day and welcome.
Pictures would really help.
However, keep in mind that quite often many small boat owners get given or acquire sails that do not necessarily fit their boat. It then becomes a question of whether the new owner wants or has the where with all to have them recut to fit.
Basically, if you are uncertain about sails, a sailmaker can give you the best advice.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Dhamil, welcome to Sailnet and to your return to sailing! I too am from Central Ohio, and live only about a mile from Hoover Reservoir in Westerville. If you're interested, you could look up the Alum Creek Sailing Association, if you haven't already. Lots of friendly folks there who are knowledgeable and who can help out with the "new" boat. Membership isn't real expensive, and it's a very social group with a decent racing program (for casual and series racers alike) if you're interested.

let me know if you need any help! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts