SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I'm John Lake & sail my Bristol 40 out of Blaine in the Pacific North West.
I live in Rossland BC which is around 7 hours drive. Been sailing for 20 odd years, cutting my teeth in Bass Strait which is the body of water between the Australian mainland & Tasmania. Moved to Canada 10 years ago & have owned Impunity for 4 years. Prior we had a 27 Catalina which we sailed around the San Juans for a couple of years. Hoping to circumnavigate Vancouver Island later this year.
Regards Johnno

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Hey John, welcome to Sailnet from a fellow PNWer. Our boat is pretty close to yours in Point Roberts (though we live a bit closer!). Keep us up to date on your circumnavigation plans... that's a milestone I hope to pass sometime soon as well, maybe this year, maybe next. And let us know if you're going to be in Boundary Bay or the San Juans... maybe we'll pass alongside you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pnw

Thanks Adam
I'll keep a look out for you. I'm heading to Blaine this week to do a few little maintenance jobs. Thanks for the welcome.
Johnno

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
My paternal grandmother lived in rossland many many yrs ago, on here way with family from Wales to calgory to rossland to seattle! They had two kids per stop! for a total of 8. My grandmother was the 2nd born in wales.

Welcome to the craziness around here. I am beginning to feel that us folks in the pugetsound/straight of georgia might be outnumbering the other area's of the world!

marty

·
19,489 Posts
Welcome.. always good to see more PNW/BCers here. My wife and my families' live in Robson, near Castlegar.... not far from you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of my Guys at work lives in Robson & another in Castlegar.
Our Fabrication business is in Trail....thanks again for the welcome.
Johnno

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
Oh, IIRC around 1910-1915 or there abouts. She remembers coming from Vancouver BC to Seattle when there were BIG red Seattle letters on Queen Anne hill lit up like the big white Hollywood sign. she is long gone! should she still be around, she would be close to 100 if not over. The Duwamish indians used to peddle baskets etc on the boardwalks in town too.

My great grandfather worked in the coal mines in the area.

Marty

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Welcome to Sailnet!

David

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Welcome from a Calgarian.

If you are going to circumnavigate Vancouver Island, avoid the Van Isle 360 which runs June 6 - 20. They will take up all of the marina space when they come in and party hearty.

I have been around 8 times. The plans for this year include May 26 - June 10 and Sept 3 - 17. If you have any questions, let me know.

Jack

1 - 10 of 10 Posts