SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
11 years ago I was another happy wanna-be-sailor. So I decided to start learning about the art of sailing: how to start the "engine" of that thing; how to change directions and where are the indicator lights??; how to put more speed; how to stop when at full speed (by the way, where's the ABS?? what, no Airbags??), etc. Then after 6 months of sailing I took my "boat driving" license. Those were great times and I got the sailing virus all over me. But then (and there's always an annoying "but") because of my professional activity I was invited to work in another country, with no sea or lakes around, and more important, my two daughters were born. And my sailing went on a forced stand by...
Now I'm 41 yrs old and, 11 years after my 1st and last sailing experience I'm back in action and I'm an happy wanna-be-sailor again! I will be relearning to sail a boat (a Golfiño G7.25 - a safe, funny and damn fast boat!!) for the next months and hopefully this time I will be ending up with my Captain license and my own boat :)

·
moderate?
996 Posts
Welcome aboard DB! Portagee sailors have quite a reputation in this forum! :D
You should be hearing from member Giulietta out of Estoril in the near future! Just don't send him any pictures.
Good luck with your plans and we hope to be of help and friendship to you.

EDIT ...oops...too late!! :D

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,136 Posts
Now look Messers Moderators....it's all very good to play this game of be nice to the newbies but come on now....not another Portugoose. Please god nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

What if this one can PhotoShop as well ????

Did you think of that before you let the bugger in ????

;):p:):eek::):p;)

Welcome to the board DB. Live Long and Prosper. :cool:

·
Registered
993 Posts
Hello all.
11 years ago I was another happy wanna-be-sailor. So I decided to start learning about the art of sailing: how to start the "engine" of that thing; how to change directions and where are the indicator lights??; how to put more speed; how to stop when at full speed (by the way, where's the ABS?? what, no Airbags??), etc. Then after 6 months of sailing I took my "boat driving" license. Those were great times and I got the sailing virus all over me. But then (and there's always an annoying "but") because of my professional activity I was invited to work in another country, with no sea or lakes around, and more important, my two daughters were born. And my sailing went on a forced stand by...
Now I'm 41 yrs old and, 11 years after my 1st and last sailing experience I'm back in action and I'm an happy wanna-be-sailor again! I will be relearning to sail a boat (a Golfiño G7.25 - a safe, funny and damn fast boat!!) for the next months and hopefully this time I will be ending up with my Captain license and my own boat :)
Since you are new into sailing, I will give you great advice:

1) Buy a Catalina. They are safe, reliable, and very fast (much faster than any portugese boast). You will be the envy of every portugese boater.

2) Buy a big grill. Real sailors have grills. Bigger is not always better, but it helps.

3) DO NOT, EVER, anchor in tandem.

These are some good starters.

- CD

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now look Messers Moderators....it's all very good to play this game of be nice to the newbies but come on now....not another Portugoose. Please god nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

What if this one can PhotoShop as well ????

Did you think of that before you let the bugger in ????

;):p:):eek::):p;)

Welcome to the board DB. Live Long and Prosper. :cool:
Wow I must say how surprise I am for this reception. I don't know what have happened with the other Portuguese (and I'm really not interested) but if I can do something to calm you (and jackytdunaway) down I assure you that I only know the very very basics of what it seems to be an evil and not welcomed software in this forum.

My only crusade here is in a quest to learn the maximum I can by reading the wise texts that are posted in this forum.

By the way, sorry all for my rudeness in having published an answer in Portuguese. It wasn't my intention and I understand that I should only post in English but I was only being polite in my native language with the Portuguese that welcomed me in the forum.

Good winds to all :)

·
Siren 17
1,984 Posts
They're just teasing. The other portagee is a much loved and locally famous friend. There isn't a rule that says english only.

Welcome Aboard.

·
1,000 Posts
Dark

os gajos estao a brincar contigo, porque sao meus amigos, alguns ja foram de proposito a Portugal para andar no meu barco.

Podes falar a vontade em Portugues, e nao precisas pedir desculpa de nada, estamos todos a brincar..

Ha aqui muito boa gente..

Ja agora, passa por aqui e ve alguns dos videos que eu fiz..CLICA AQUI

desculpa mas fi-los em Ingles..

Alex

·
moderate?
996 Posts
That translates as:

Dark...
I am a lonely sheepherder from your country too! Please confirm that you are lonely as well and perhaps we can exchange photos. Otherwise lambchops and I will be devastated and sad since we have a desire to make some 3 way videos like these and if you click here you can see my birthday celebration.
Have fun and don't let the crazy Americans bother you. They have no respect for us Portuguese and I hate them all even though I must pretend not to.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,136 Posts
Wow I must say how surprise I am for this reception. I don't know what have happened with the other Portuguese (and I'm really not interested) but if I can do something to calm you (and jackytdunaway) down I assure you that I only know the very very basics of what it seems to be an evil and not welcomed software in this forum.

My only crusade here is in a quest to learn the maximum I can by reading the wise texts that are posted in this forum.

By the way, sorry all for my rudeness in having published an answer in Portuguese. It wasn't my intention and I understand that I should only post in English but I was only being polite in my native language with the Portuguese that welcomed me in the forum.

Dark Blue...the only thing in my previous post that was serious was the Welcome.......Your fellow countryman is indeed a friend who was most generous in his hospitality when I visited your country earlier this year.

Me, I'm Australian.....read into that what you will.

Have fun...enjoy your time here.

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts

Dark Blue,
One thing you should be aware of is that this forum is full of people who like to joke a lot. Unfortunately, Giulietta (the other Portagee) has built up quite a reputation on here for doing just that. He also has a reputation of taking peoples posted photos and "improving" them using Photoshop :).

Trust me, it's all in good fun. With that being said, there is a wealth of sailing knowledge on this board. Sometimes you have to filter out the wise cracks but all in all the community here is awesome.

If you ever have a sailing related question, please feel free to ask. I'm confident someone here will have your answer.

Enjoy,

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
DarkBlue:

Welcome to Sailnet!

We are glad to have you here.

You are most certainly welcome to post in what ever language you wish.

I hope that our good-natured kidding, which was directed at your fellow countryman has not discouraged you from participating.

Again, welcome!

David

·
Registered
993 Posts

Alex. a fellow portugese, is one of our favorite people here! It was all joking!!

Hang around. If you want to be famous too, buy a Catalina. It is the only way to avoid ridicule.

- CD

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That translates as:

Dark...
I am a lonely sheepherder from your country too! Please confirm that you are lonely as well and perhaps we can exchange photos. Otherwise lambchops and I will be devastated and sad since we have a desire to make some 3 way videos like these and if you click here you can see my birthday celebration.
Have fun and don't let the crazy Americans bother you. They have no respect for us Portuguese and I hate them all even though I must pretend not to.
I'm really LOL now!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK all, I'm LOL and I'm happy that you all have a great sense of humor and I'm sure I will be having a great time around.
Now it's time to reveal my real intentions. In fact I was invited to join this forum by Giulietta. Together we will be using all of our knowledge of, not only Photoshop, but also ACDSee, Corel Paint, HP Photosmart, IrfanView, Gimp, among others. So be afraid, be very afraid!

Cheers all!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts