SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name's Dave and I live in Portland OR. Learned how to sail a long time ago on the SF Bay, sailed a lot there and in the lower delta, sailed Lake Tahoe when I lived there, and have been sailing the Columbia since moving here. Last year about this time, my good friend and neighbor bought a Buccaneer 200, I did a lot of cleanup, bottom painting and brightwork on it, sufficiently impressing another mutual friend that he offered me a job at Island Sailing Club. Apparently they like what I do, I'm now fleet manager for our Washington operations. We have 5 boats in Olympia and 7 in Kirkland (Seattle), and are an ASA certified school. Additionally, I just got my first "big" boat, a US25 that supposedly was competitive on the local racing scene. I like racing, especially F1 and MotoGP, but I'm more of a cruiser than a racer when it comes to boats. However, since the boat is set up for racing, well, you don't hitch a race horse to a plow, so I hope to be learning the ins and outs of racing soon. All suggestions and recommendations welcome! And, if there are any racers in the South Puget Sound area that may be familiar with a US25 named "Avenger", I'd like to hear more..

·
19,488 Posts
Welcome!.. eons ago I crewed for a fellow with a US25 in local RTB racing. Nice looking boat and one of the few 'Buccaneers' worthy of the label 'sailboat'. Gary Mull did some nice boats.

Rather tiny cockpit, though, as I recall....

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I wouldn't call the cockpit "tiny", but it is definitely cozy. When I'm inside, it seems smaller than the Catalina 25 I usually stay on too, guess cause it's more "racy", but at 6'4", there's not many boats I can stand up in anyway. My neighbor has a Buccaneer 200, not a real fast boat altho we seem to hold our own against the local Cal 20 and Ranger 20 fleets, so I decided to go with my instincts for this one. Sails are in great shape, has a good set of instruments, interior needs work but it's clean and I get to set it up my way. I'm excited!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts