SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a lurker here really, for the time being at least.
My wife mentioned the idea of getting a sail boat a few weeks ago. So today, while I had spare time to look, I happened to come across here.
As a newbie I guess if any one could point me in the right direction to any books, recommended boats, and etc.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
Welcome Tex (secretcitizen).

Way too vague to give a recommendation on boats. Where would you sail it? How much do you want to spend? How big? ~~~~/)~~~~

If you don't already know how to sail then taking an intro sailing course is a pretty good idea. If you are too cool for school then get yourself something like a Sunfish to learn on. Then you can move on up in size.

Welcome to the asylum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where: I would most likely stay in Sabine Lake (estuary) while learning, and then try out the gulf shores.

Budget: $10k~$15k

School: I don't know, I didn't give it much thought yet.

Personally, I would like to get a boat that my family and I can grow into. I have a Wife, 4 year old son, and next year we will be trying for the last one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey secret citizen,

I'm in Texas too. Jasper, with a boat on Sam Rayburn. I recently purchased my first sailboat which is a Pacific Seacraft Flicka. Yeah, I know, not a lake boat, slow, full keeled and all the other negative reasons, but I love it and wouldn't change my decision. I too hope to some day get down on the coast and do some cruising. Who knows, maybe I will, maybe I won't. But, I know I can.

So far, the best book I have read is "Sail & Rig Tuning" by Ivar Dedekam. Second on my list is "The International Marine Book of Sailing" by Robby Robinson. Of course I am a slow reader and have just started.

Good luck on your sailing venture. Keep us posted on what you decide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts