SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hello SailNet

756 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Bene505 
#1 ·
Crew? Tell me when and where. I'll bring beer.

This is going to be an interesting introduction for myself. I'd appreciate all the patience you can grant.

I'm a novice boater and hardly a sailor. I don't think you can achieve any more expertise on a pontoon on an inland lake than novice. I bought a Sunfish recently and take it out on Lake Erie inside the breakwater off of downtown Cleveland. If anyone can recommend an easier ramp than the one at Edgewater I'd appreciate it. There's some paddling involved there and it can be really difficult to get back to the ramp with the wind blowing from the Southwest. Anyone looking for crew, please, please, please send me a message. I don't care if you're cruising or racing. Just let me know when and where. I want to learn everything involved with a sailboat. I'd be happy to help with maintenance.

A couple of weeks back I was sitting at a campfire with a couple of friends and we were talking about things like seeing the Milky Way, traveling, and visiting our friend who moved to England. In passing, I mentioned those are all things that we could do with a sailboat, "We could even sail around the world." This really struck a chord with my lottery winning friend. I was hoping to just sail Lake Erie, even race, but now we're planning a trip around the world. Where do we even start? We've looked into ASA classes but the two most important things as far as I'm concerned are experience and a seaworthy boat.

I put the likelihood of this coming to fruition in the neighborhood of 10%. The bottom line is, whether this works out or not, I want to sail. Someone take me out. Don't forget, I'll bring beer!

See less See more
#4 ·
Welcome. I'm a little too far east of you to help. For one thing, keep taking that sunfish out! A lot of people learned on them.

Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.