SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Is Me

Recently sold our 42ft Beneteau and before that we had a O'day Trailor Sailer.

I work in the Alaska Oil Field on a 2 week shift and have 2 weeks off each month to commute to wherever the U.S. State Department has posted my wonderful better half. (currently Kazakhstan) it is a 36 hour commute "she is worth it"

Seeing as she is going to be at a post this next year starting in July that is unaccompanied she has decided that I should get another Sailboat for her to visit on her time off.

So I am here to add to my buying research..

Thanks in advance for all the information sharing and the answers to my questions that I am sure will follow.

Bill

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Welcome aboard.
Okay, I kinda like your spouse already. anybody either crazy enough, ambitous enough or politically incorrect enough to get posted/exiled to the most remote and weirdest of the 'stans is okay in my book. and by extension his/her spouse must be crazy enough to be cool, too.
so, you need a boat, huh?
okay, riddle me this, roughneck- where do you want this boat to be, how big do you want the boat to be, and how much money do ye be spending on aforementioned vessel pruchase?

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Bill,

Sounds like an opportunity to meet and charter in a wide variety of places while you get your lives together in one local. The joint chartering experiences would provide the chance to evaluate a range of boats and features. I am just saying...;)

Down

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome aboard.
Okay, I kinda like your spouse already. anybody either crazy enough, ambitous enough or politically incorrect enough to get posted/exiled to the most remote and weirdest of the 'stans is okay in my book. and by extension his/her spouse must be crazy enough to be cool, too.
so, you need a boat, huh?
okay, riddle me this, roughneck- where do you want this boat to be, how big do you want the boat to be, and how much money do ye be spending on aforementioned vessel pruchase?
After a few years in the "largest land locked country in the world" with -40F winters. We (She) thinks it should be in the southern US / Gulf of Mexico area. We will want to do the Keys, Bahamas, and eventually work down the Caribbean chain to Central / South America. I think that I want something that will be a bit more sea friendly and stable then our 411, possibly a full keel ketch and a center cockpit so we can have a big aft cabin to roll around in. I am still up in the air about draft. Our O'day was a centerboard and it was very nice to head into an anchorage and reduce our draft by 2 feet. I am looking for an older boat with a real wood interior, not a bunch of press-board and plastic veneer. We want something not built just to meet a Charter company's demands. Hmmm Money 100k ish more or less.

I don't want much really. :D

Bill

·
Registered
712 Posts
Welcome. Since you already know sailboats... enjoy the search!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts