SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1974 Pearson 35
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My wife and I are both newer sailors, living in MA, and the owners of a 1974 Pearson 35 which we purchased in August 2020. We've sailed her once -- and then started in on a multi-year refit. This was her the year we bought her:

Boat Water Watercraft Vehicle Naval architecture

So far we've:
  • Replaced the original Universal diesel motor with a new Beta 25
  • Replaced the original prop with a new feathering MaxProp
  • Replaced standing rigging
  • Sourced and installed aluminum spreaders (replacing, weirdly, wooden ones?)
  • Added new lifelines
  • Replaced the toerail, rubrail, and cockpit coaming with new teak
  • Added new-to-us Lewmar 44 self-tailing primary winches, replacing the non-self tailing smaller ones that came with the boat
  • Replaced the pedestal and binnacle compass
We're in the middle of putting in a full B&G electronics setup, with chart plotter, instruments, a hydraulic autopilot, etc. all being installed prior to commissioning her this year. My wife is in the process of sewing all new upholstery for the boat, as well. :)

We have a long list of other things to do, as we're hoping to start sailing locally first and further afield in the coming few years. We've completed ASA 101 and 103 so far, and are taking a 4-day live aboard ASA 104 course at the end of June.

Nice to meet you all!

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,822 Posts
Welcome!

Why did you replace the Universal Diesel? What model was it? Do you still have it?

·
Registered
1974 Pearson 35
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome!

Why did you replace the Universal Diesel? What model was it? Do you still have it?
It was an MXP-25, poorly maintained by the previous owners (likely not the most recent, but those who came before her); it was leaking exhaust, diesel, and oil into the bilge. We’re planning to do enough sailing and far enough out that we didn’t want to have to worry about the motor.

Did not keep it - barely anything there to salvage given it’s condition.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,822 Posts
It was an MXP-25, poorly maintained by the previous owners (likely not the most recent, but those who came before her); it was leaking exhaust, diesel, and oil into the bilge. We’re planning to do enough sailing and far enough out that we didn’t want to have to worry about the motor.

Did not keep it - barely anything there to salvage given it’s condition.
Too bad. Your boat had been re-powered with the MXP-25. I believe that they were introduced in the '90's. Some of the parts for them are much sought by other owners - timing case cover, exhaust manifold, bell housing.

The Beta is a great engine too. They are based on a Kubota block, just like the Universal.

·
Registered
1974 Pearson 35
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Live and learn, I suppose. The old one was a tough job to get out, per our rigger, but I'm excited to have a feathering prop and a reliable motor this season! We also had a new fuel tank fabricated, as it seemed like the right time to deal with, just in case. Some of our "in progress" pictures:

Product Automotive tire Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive design

Gas Audio equipment Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper

Boat Watercraft Naval architecture Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Wood

·
Super Moderator
4,539 Posts
Gee... is that a holiday in the varnish about 8.75" aft of the starboard winch? The whole coaming piece will have to be stripped and re-varnished with seven coats, no?;) Having the wheel forward makes handing coffee &. sandwiches up to the helmsperson a lot easier. It also makes the dodger much more useful for them. Nice design feature on the P35.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Welcome, and best wishes. I remember the Alberg-35, which I recall was full keel. Is your Pearson-35 a keel-centerboard? That'll give you more access to some of the shallower harbors, aroung the Cape and elsewhere. Where will you moor her?

Though a New Orleanean for decades, I grew up in Marblehead and learned to sail young. It;s different down here, shallower, lighter wind, but a good sailing community out on "Lake" Pontchartrain, which fortunately is not a true lake, it gives us access to the sea through a narrow gut.

·
New to cruising
120 Posts
Hello! My wife and I are both newer sailors, living in MA, and the owners of a 1974 Pearson 35 which we purchased in August 2020. We've sailed her once -- and then started in on a multi-year refit. This was her the year we bought her:

View attachment 143500

So far we've:
  • Replaced the original Universal diesel motor with a new Beta 25
  • Replaced the original prop with a new feathering MaxProp
  • Replaced standing rigging
  • Sourced and installed aluminum spreaders (replacing, weirdly, wooden ones?)
  • Added new lifelines
  • Replaced the toerail, rubrail, and cockpit coaming with new teak
  • Added new-to-us Lewmar 44 self-tailing primary winches, replacing the non-self tailing smaller ones that came with the boat
  • Replaced the pedestal and binnacle compass
We're in the middle of putting in a full B&G electronics setup, with chart plotter, instruments, a hydraulic autopilot, etc. all being installed prior to commissioning her this year. My wife is in the process of sewing all new upholstery for the boat, as well. :)

We have a long list of other things to do, as we're hoping to start sailing locally first and further afield in the coming few years. We've completed ASA 101 and 103 so far, and are taking a 4-day live aboard ASA 104 course at the end of June.

Nice to meet you all!
I did something similar. Bought a boat in 2018. Sailed a handful of times. Started a total overhaul in 2020 and just finished. Hubby and I will be sailing in the Nantucket Sound this summer. Out of HYC. Give a shout to me if you get near there.

·
Registered
1974 Pearson 35
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome, and best wishes. I remember the Alberg-35, which I recall was full keel. Is your Pearson-35 a keel-centerboard? That'll give you more access to some of the shallower harbors, aroung the Cape and elsewhere. Where will you moor her?

Though a New Orleanean for decades, I grew up in Marblehead and learned to sail young. It;s different down here, shallower, lighter wind, but a good sailing community out on "Lake" Pontchartrain, which fortunately is not a true lake, it gives us access to the sea through a narrow gut.
It is a full keel with a centerboard. One of my projects in the off-season is to drop that board and check it fully, and then apply new anti-fouling. On the P35, my understanding is that the centerboard pin and sheave often wear down and become a source of leaks, typically directly into the (encapsulated) keel area. Not sure yet if we're going to be grappling with that, as we're still on the hard for the major refit work.

·
Registered
1974 Pearson 35
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did something similar. Bought a boat in 2018. Sailed a handful of times. Started a total overhaul in 2020 and just finished. Hubby and I will be sailing in the Nantucket Sound this summer. Out of HYC. Give a shout to me if you get near there.
Nice! We're in Quincy, and trying as hard as possible to get her in the water this season. So many projects still...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts