I did something similar. Bought a boat in 2018. Sailed a handful of times. Started a total overhaul in 2020 and just finished. Hubby and I will be sailing in the Nantucket Sound this summer. Out of HYC. Give a shout to me if you get near there.Hello! My wife and I are both newer sailors, living in MA, and the owners of a 1974 Pearson 35 which we purchased in August 2020. We've sailed her once -- and then started in on a multi-year refit. This was her the year we bought her:
View attachment 143500
So far we've:
We're in the middle of putting in a full B&G electronics setup, with chart plotter, instruments, a hydraulic autopilot, etc. all being installed prior to commissioning her this year. My wife is in the process of sewing all new upholstery for the boat, as well.
- Replaced the original Universal diesel motor with a new Beta 25
- Replaced the original prop with a new feathering MaxProp
- Replaced standing rigging
- Sourced and installed aluminum spreaders (replacing, weirdly, wooden ones?)
- Added new lifelines
- Replaced the toerail, rubrail, and cockpit coaming with new teak
- Added new-to-us Lewmar 44 self-tailing primary winches, replacing the non-self tailing smaller ones that came with the boat
- Replaced the pedestal and binnacle compass
We have a long list of other things to do, as we're hoping to start sailing locally first and further afield in the coming few years. We've completed ASA 101 and 103 so far, and are taking a 4-day live aboard ASA 104 course at the end of June.
Nice to meet you all!