SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm new here and just getting ready to take possession of a 1983 Cal 39. I look forward to sharing my new adventure here.

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
977 Posts
Nice boat! Welcome. I used to live in Arlington. Chesapeake is a great place to sail, if that's where you plan to keep her. There's too much tacking in the Potomac :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jimgo - I actually live in Reston and will be keeping her down in Solomon's Island, Md. Close to the bay but not too far a drive from here.

Gamayun, I have to agree about the Potomac, even down by the Bay is it still pretty narrow, plus slip fees in Solomon's Island are a fraction of fees in the Potomac or Occoquan.

I used to to some ocean racing in a 50ft S&S back when I was a younger man but am looking forward to teaching my wife and son the skills and joys of sailing.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Nice! I've heard Solomons is pretty, but I've never made it out there. How long do you think it will take you to get there? Sorry, don't mean to be nosy...one of the reasons I was ready to leave NOVA was (my apparent misperception of) the lack of access to boating. I had grown up on power boats when I was a kid, and would have loved to have had a boat when we lived there. We lived near the Twin Lakes, and thought about getting a kayak to keep there just so I'd have SOME ties to the water! We wound up moving outside Philly, which brings beaches and boating within an hour and a half to two hour drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jimgo, it takes about an hour and 40 mins to get to Solomons from Reston. Easy drive once you get off the beltway. So close to the Bay though.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Welcome aboard Cap'n. :) Take some pictures of that boat... share!

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts