SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know anything about the old Helms 25, a 1970s fiberglass sailboat that supposedly had some resemblance to the Catalinas of that era?
Thanks, Pat

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I do not know the Helms 25, but I seriously considered the Helms 24. I was attracted to the standing headroom and overall interior design for such a short boat on the waterline, and this one had a diesel. I had it hauled out and surveyed, and decided against Helms boats. The particular boat had many high-risk problems, but what concerned me the most were the cracks in the hull pan near the bulkheads, created by a stress-riser where four planes meet. I was told by my surveyor this was due to faulty design, and he strongly discouraged me from considering anything more than protected water sailing. I was informed that even sailing across the Chesapeake would be heavy sailing enough to be concerned that the boat would be twisting and flexing beneath me. I know that the owner had been very happy with the boat on a placid lake for 20 years, but since I wanted to do coastal cruising; I decided it was not built heavily enough. Sailnet''s boat check has some owner comments on Helms boats. Hope this is helpful in some way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts