SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had to remove a frozen valve and through-hull fitting today. I had to sacrifice the through hull fitting to get the valve out. Now I'm having a problem locating a new through-hull the same size as the old one.

It is a 3/4" pipe fitting - 1" hole size flush mount fitting with the flange being 2 7/8 in diameter and approx. 45 degree chamfer on the edge.

The hull is recessed where the flush through-hull mates.

I have been searching online for a while tonight and still coming up empty handed. Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
I could not find the exact replacement for a C&C 27 and ended up modifying the hull cavity for a different style. Doesn't mean the right one is not out there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very close, I have seen that one too.
The one used on my boat does not taper so much from the threads to the outer circumference like the one shown. It is mostly flat and then tapers with a chamfer at the edges. Also it is nearly 3 inches in diameter which I have not found any so far with a 3" flange diameter and 3/4 pipe thread to fit a one inch hole.

I am considering using something else in its place, but I still have this 3" recessed area around the hole on the bottom of my boat.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don—

The Marelon through-hulls are pretty similar, but I don't know of any 3/4" NPT through-hulls that have such a wide flange...This is probably the closest you'll find to what you need.
Thanks Mr. dog. I definitely would get a Marelon fitting if I found one that works. I guess they stopped making this kind of fitting these days. I'm sure the thru-hull and gate valve were original pieces on this boat. Murphy always has a way to get me! Nothing comes easy.

I'm going to try Fawcett or Bacon in Annapolis to see what I can find there.

As a last resort, would there be any issue with installing a standard mushroom fitting in place of the flush one? As I stated before, the recessed surface is flat and the only angles are the chamfer at the outside circumference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts