SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend who used to daysail with me in honolulu on our cal 20 and Catalina 22 is moving for 2 years for graduate school at the university of New England.

She starts may 25. Right in time for summer. What are her best options? Races she can learn as crew? She said the school has a small sailing center and there is something called portland sailing center?

I know there are a lot of people here in maine and she is quite pleasant. Not like me at all.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If she's going to be at UNE in Biddeford, she can spit and hit the jetty. I'd be surprised if the college doesn't have boats for use or moorings for the students.

Just up the road, there is Biddeford Pool Yacht Club. For a college kid, I'd assume they'd let her join the fun for a token fee. At least, I would. And if she befriended one of the kids there, she'd be a guest anyway.

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, my friend is now there and doesn't know how to get started. She said her new house is right near the south portland sailing center, but can't find anything other than $600 for 20 hours of sailing lessons. I guess at one time there was $100 for unlimited dinghy lessons but no more. She also found a "get the community interested in sailing" but it's mostly high schoolers.

So where can one get into sailing for free? I know if it were me,I would go troll races and sign up as crew.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Well, my friend is now there and doesn't know how to get started. She said her new house is right near the south portland sailing center, but can't find anything other than $600 for 20 hours of sailing lessons. I guess at one time there was $100 for unlimited dinghy lessons but no more. She also found a "get the community interested in sailing" but it's mostly high schoolers. So where can one get into sailing for free? I know if it were me,I would go troll races and sign up as crew.
Have her goto Centerboard YC on wed. Around 5pm. They welcome anyone for wed. night racing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts