SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am lookig to sail the world. In order to do this I need a boat. Right at the moment, there is no way I can afford to purchase one. I need to know where to get a free boat. The bigger (50'-75' or so) the better! Does any one know where I may find such a miracle? Please help. I have that sailing itch that needs to be scratched. ANY ideas might be of use!
Thanks for any help!

·
Aeolus II
670 Posts
There is no free lunch

Even a "free" boat costs money. Add to the free hull any modifications, repairs, sails and upgrades needed to make her seaworthy. You will find that you will be paying loads of cash. Also, a boat in the 50-75' range is way more expensive in gear and modifications. I wish you the best of luck.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
First of all, you don't need a big boat to sail the world, especially if you're willing to give up some creature comforts to do so. Tania Aebi did her circumnavigation in 26' boat. Donna Lange did hers in a 28' boat. Robin Lee Graham did his in a 24' boat. BTW, most people can't handle a 50-75' boat by themselves—and it is pretty expensive to set one up so that it is possible to do so.

Also, you obviously have NO CLUE how much owning a boat costs. Considering that you're looking for a free boat immediately tells me that you don't have the resources to afford owning one, much less one in the size range you're talking about.

You really need to take a long hard look at what is really possible for you—give you a hint, it ain't a 50-75' boat more likely than not. The insurance and slip fees for a 50' boat are going to be in the thousands of dollars, if you can get a reasonable rate. Considering that you've never owned a boat, I kind of doubt that's going to happen.

You also don't say what sailing experience you have. You don't say what resources you do have at the moment.

I'd also add that in most cases, you couldn't pay me to take a free boat. Free boats are often the most expensive ones to buy in the long-run. This is because it is usually far less expensive to buy the same make/model boat in good condition than it will cost to refurbish a free boat to the same condition.

It would also help if you said what part of the world you're in. Scratching a sailing itch is pretty easy to do—join a local sailing club, or crewing at a local marina's "round-the-can" races can do that.

I'd highly recommend you read the POST in my signature to help you get the most out of your time here. It has tips on searching sailnet, writing a good post, etc.. Welcome to the Asylum.

Sorry if this post sounds harsh, but you really needed a reality check IMHO. If you really want to sail the world, it can be done affordably, which sounds like what you'd need to do, but not in a 50' boat.

I am lookig to sail the world. In order to do this I need a boat. Right at the moment, there is no way I can afford to purchase one. I need to know where to get a free boat. The bigger (50'-75' or so) the better! Does any one know where I may find such a miracle? Please help. I have that sailing itch that needs to be scratched. ANY ideas might be of use!
Thanks for any help!

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,116 Posts
Thats right SD, shoot him down in flames, dash his dreams, strip his life force from him, and spoil a good story. We could have had some endless amusment here. :D anyway isnt that sort of what Captain Stow is kind of doing.:)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Maybe you should look for a "free" boat 1/2 to 1/3 the size you are looking. A Bristol 24 or Pearson Ariel would be a great world cruiser, and made seaworthy for a great deal cheaper than any giant barge you are looking for. Imagine what a "free" 50' boat would be like! A floating scrapyard (if it floats at all)

·
midlife crisis member
975 Posts
Let me know if you can get a free 50' -75' sailboat that you can get in the water for less than $100,000.00

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
Someguy...

Giu, is that you? You're just jokin' aroung and trying to get SD upset I'll bet.

50'-75' free boat - that's funny.

Best advice given is JOIN THE NAVY. "It's not just a job, it's an adventure."

·
Registered
339 Posts
One way to "sail the world" for free is to join the Navy.
Been there, done that...........I don't recommend it but that's just me.

The pay's lousy, the food's great, but you don't get to set your itenerary.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I can give you the information you need on a free boat in the size you desire. We have many such vessels on our planet. However, you seem to have momentarily removed your foil helmet making it difficult for me to communicate with you. I will continue transmitting. Mine is the voice you must not ignore.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can give you the information you need on a free boat in the size you desire. We have many such vessels on our planet. However, you seem to have momentarily removed your foil helmet making it difficult for me to communicate with you. I will continue transmitting. Mine is the voice you must not ignore.
Thanks that is exactly what i needed on this cold winters day to cheer me up, i think i laughed for a good twenty minutes

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
ROFLMAO...priceless....just priceless...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts