SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am lookig to sail the world. In order to do this I need a boat. Right at the moment, there is no way I can afford to purchase one. I need to know where to get a free boat. The bigger (50'-75' or so) the better! Does any one know where I may find such a miracle? Please help. I have that sailing itch that needs to be scratched. ANY ideas might be of use!
Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
all very good points

These are all very good points. How much could I expect to pay for a decent boat around that size. I have never financed a boat either. What could I expect to pay a mont on a, lets say $100,000.00 boat? How many crew members could I expect to need to sail such a monster? How long ( on average) does it take to aquire the skills necesarry to sail the world?
What kind of dangers can I look to run into (besides the obvious)?

I appreciate all of your candor. I AM going to sail! I'm not sure how or when... but it's coming. I just need to know how to go about doing it. I dont expect it to be easy. I dont expect it to be cheap. (although looking to cut costs is always being saught). It'll take me about three years to save $100,00.00 . I would like to know some of your persnol recomendations as far as vessels go, for speed, room, reliabitilty, saftey, and any thing else I might be missing.

Please help me join in to the thousands around the world enjoying the sailing experience. Thanks guys. (and gals)

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks for your knowledge. I Appreciate every bit.

If I want to sail with 4-5 people, what might be a comfortable size boat to sail with. I have looked at alot of 40-45 footers online, and they seem more fit to a 3-4 max crew. But i have not seen them in person, so i'm kinda missing something for sure.

What places have you seen that you might recommend checking out. I have a rather large list that i'd like to see.

What can I expect to pay for docking at other countries?

Wich countries should I stay away from?

What usually needs repairing on a sailboat?

Whats the most expensive repair that I could not do myself?

Are you allowed to carry small arms on your boat to most countries?

How well does the electronic equipment work as far as navigating to avoid storms and such? Is there a world wide service for internet? How much does it cost? Cell phone service? Cost?

Any recommendations for a type of sailboat that may be more accommodating for room on the inside?

How do you get fresh water for showers and drinking in the boat? Do they have a device that can remove the salt from the water? If so... how much?

Does any body utilize solar panels on sail boats?

Thanks in advance. I have lots more annoying questions, but I dont want to over whelm you right now. lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.