SailNet Community banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I am lookig to sail the world. In order to do this I need a boat. Right at the moment, there is no way I can afford to purchase one. I need to know where to get a free boat. The bigger (50'-75' or so) the better! Does any one know where I may find such a miracle? Please help. I have that sailing itch that needs to be scratched. ANY ideas might be of use!
Thanks for any help!
PM Someguy3826 - he has the lead you are looking for I assure you...

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I know of a free 50 footer, Hull needs cleaning and maybe one of those dehumidifier from west marine but it's all yours

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
all very good points

These are all very good points. How much could I expect to pay for a decent boat around that size. I have never financed a boat either. What could I expect to pay a mont on a, lets say $100,000.00 boat? How many crew members could I expect to need to sail such a monster? How long ( on average) does it take to aquire the skills necesarry to sail the world?
What kind of dangers can I look to run into (besides the obvious)?

I appreciate all of your candor. I AM going to sail! I'm not sure how or when... but it's coming. I just need to know how to go about doing it. I dont expect it to be easy. I dont expect it to be cheap. (although looking to cut costs is always being saught). It'll take me about three years to save $100,00.00 . I would like to know some of your persnol recomendations as far as vessels go, for speed, room, reliabitilty, saftey, and any thing else I might be missing.

Please help me join in to the thousands around the world enjoying the sailing experience. Thanks guys. (and gals)

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
so you're not a troll!!! Congrats.

First thing is drop the idea of a real big boat. thousands of people have sailed the worlds oceans with boats under 40'. You will be overwhelmed with a boat over 50'. both in what it takes to sail as a rookie and how much it costs.
When buying a used boat you need to set aside around 20% or more for inevitable repairs/changes that will need to be made. So that cuts your budget to around $60,000. don't forget you'll need to pay sales taxes, initial docking fees, insurance, maybe transport costs, survey with haulout, etc. So right there is about $10,000 to $15,000 before you even own the boat!

Good luck

·
Picnic Sailor
Moody 425
2,182 Posts
Someguy3825,

You sound like you are new to this, it is a good dream and I believe if you do really want to do it then please go for it.

In addition to the above questions, there will be many many more to come my advice is stick it out around here and read read read.

How much could I expect to pay for a decent boat around that size.
50-75 ft???? from alot $$$$$$ upwards :) Honestly that is a very large boat for what you talking about. Far larger than average. Go to yachtworld.com and put your size into the search parameters you will soon get an idea.

Unless you are a dotcom millionaire, or plan on doing it with 10 of your closest friends my suggestion would be to look at smaller boats. 36ft - 45ft is probably more the norm.

Which one??? and how much?? Look on this site under 'buying a boat' at a thread called something like the 'bluewater list'. This and the subsequent discussions will go along way to give you some idea.

How many crew members could I expect to need to sail such a monster? )
Alot of people cruise with just 2 onboard, themselves and their partner. Some insurance companies would prefer a third for larger bluewater passages. People have, and continue to sail singlehanded around the world. A boat 50-70?? if you are a dotcom millionaire then you almost need a professional crew....read +1-2.

How long ( on average) does it take to aquire the skills necesarry to sail the world?
Start with a basic learn to sail course that will teach you from first principles, then its just a case of taking it from there. Chartering is a good idea along the way, as is crewing on OPB's (other people's boats). It will probably take a year at least to get you to a point where you will want to do anything too ambitious or adventurous. Of course it depends on you, your time commitments, the opportunities you have etc etc.

What kind of dangers can I look to run into (besides the obvious)?
The sea. Storms/heavy seas/weather etc. The biggest issue here is getting in too deep beyond what your experience and vessel can handle. The answer build experience, learn from other's experience, respect the sea. oh and Sail a good boat.

Land. Hitting it specifically in a boat can be a real bummer.....lots of islands/reefs/rocks/sandbars/continents out there. Learning how to know where they are and the practice of prudent navigation is advised.

The first two are by far the biggest dangers out there, the others you hear of, like pirates/hitting whales/getting struck by lighting/heart attack onboard/bad can of beans/alien encounter/bermuda triangle occur far less than these first two.

Your dream is an awesome dream, there is however sir a lot of work to do so get too it!

Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks for your knowledge. I Appreciate every bit.

If I want to sail with 4-5 people, what might be a comfortable size boat to sail with. I have looked at alot of 40-45 footers online, and they seem more fit to a 3-4 max crew. But i have not seen them in person, so i'm kinda missing something for sure.

What places have you seen that you might recommend checking out. I have a rather large list that i'd like to see.

What can I expect to pay for docking at other countries?

Wich countries should I stay away from?

What usually needs repairing on a sailboat?

Whats the most expensive repair that I could not do myself?

Are you allowed to carry small arms on your boat to most countries?

How well does the electronic equipment work as far as navigating to avoid storms and such? Is there a world wide service for internet? How much does it cost? Cell phone service? Cost?

Any recommendations for a type of sailboat that may be more accommodating for room on the inside?

How do you get fresh water for showers and drinking in the boat? Do they have a device that can remove the salt from the water? If so... how much?

Does any body utilize solar panels on sail boats?

Thanks in advance. I have lots more annoying questions, but I dont want to over whelm you right now. lol.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Alot of those questions (watermakers, solar panels, weapons, etc) can also be answered quickly on google, and the rest can readily be found here either by reading the links suggested or using the search function of the website.

cheers! it's quite the dream.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Almost all of your questions where answered somewhere on this forum or some other places. You do not have to search, just try to read!!!
Or, if you want to provide some entertainment for the folks here, keep asking, clueless questions will generate a lot of interesting responses.

·
Registered
64 Posts
some explanation for your motivation would help to stir the answers properly. Like, how did you reach the idea about the size?
I am sure there is a lot of advise and free opinions about that, but general understanding is if you should start a bit on the lower end, like 30 ft. And there are some people circumnavigating with family of 5 in 30-ish ft boats.
Unless you have to include your family of 9 or there is already a group of 6 people and you act as a representative and future captain for them... I could not see any reason for such a huge boat

·
Picnic Sailor
Moody 425
2,182 Posts
A Thesis on Cruising

Someguy,

Don't take people's responses on here as them not wanting to help, they are essentially right though most of the info you are after is best acquired by reading books...Full, considered answers to your questions would be far too broad and longwinded to cover properly here.

Everyone of us has favourite books, there are some great tales out there of people who have sailed around the world, I would start with some of these to get inspired. Authors include: Tania Aebi, Liza Copeland, Robin lee Graham, Jim Moore(my favourite). From here get some more practical books, and get sailing!!

To get you going heres some basic pointers. These are based on my perspective and my experience (coastal cruising, crewing on other people's cruises and currently equipping and planning the big voyage), i'm not a world cruiser....yet.

If I want to sail with 4-5 people, what might be a comfortable size boat to sail with. I have looked at alot of 40-45 footers online, and they seem more fit to a 3-4 max crew. But i have not seen them in person, so i'm kinda missing something for sure.
Some 40-45ft boats would be great for 4-5 people it would depend on the boat and the people!! By this I mean living on a boat is different to living on land. Some people would feel cramped on a 100ft boat. Some boats are built to accomodate alot of people, however these are often not the boats you would want to sail around the world.

What places have you seen that you might recommend checking out. I have a rather large list that i'd like to see.
Dude, its the world, it all pretty damn awesome. Specfic recommendations would depend on where you are. Where are you??

What can I expect to pay for docking at other countries?
Popular destinations = expensive marina fees.
The Med is $$$$$$. The Caribbean is $$$$ unless you get off the beaten track....Asia, the Pacific, Australia, the indian Ocean, rest of the world?? lets get into that when you have the boat and the itinerary sorted :)

What is cheap??? NOT Docking. Boats have anchors.

Wich countries should I stay away from?
Cold Ones. Anyone with a Starbucks.

What usually needs repairing on a sailboat?
Everything eventually. Book reading is going to give you an idea's on common themes however. I will say A lot of cruiser's become very good diesel mechanics.

Whats the most expensive repair that I could not do myself?
Alot of cruiser's do all repairs themselves. Especially world cruisers. How handy are you??

Are you allowed to carry small arms on your boat to most countries?
Yes and No. You technically can but it is normally a gigantic pain in the ass...and IMHO why would you?? There are countless discussion's on it here, so im not going to go there now.

How well does the electronic equipment work as far as navigating to avoid storms and such? Is there a world wide service for internet? How much does it cost? Cell phone service? Cost?
As well/poorly as the idiot using it/World wide email is easier with SSB/internet is possible depending on the great question of WHERE but trickier/ your Cell is gone. If your a dotcom millionaire you can however treat yourself to a satellite phone.

Any recommendations for a type of sailboat that may be more accommodating for room on the inside?
Inside volume = floating caravan = generally not safe to bluewater sail. That is a gross simplification of the issue, it is a very subjective, there are compromises, read read read. Unlimitied budget??? I would like a Hallberg-Rassy.

How do you get fresh water for showers and drinking in the boat? Do they have a device that can remove the salt from the water? If so... how much?
A watermaker(it desalinates salt water) anywhere from $3000 us upwards depending on capacity. Personally I used the Tap at the Marina and then be careful. Alot of people have circumnavigated without watermakers.

Does any body utilize solar panels on sail boats?
Yes :) I have one on my little boat. Alot of people do, They are generally inadequate on their own however for most modern boats power needs.

Now go and READ.

I would also really recommend lessons and chartering a boat, it will answer alot of your questions first hand. Its also a neat holiday.

Best of luck.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.