SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just stopped by estate sale and my buddy and I bought this sailboat - would like to identify the brand, class etc if possible - can you help
need to measure it but its about 13 feet, has a coast guard sticker saying 4 people, 2 hp max
has a retractable keel, but also fixed along the length, a no boom design, two sets of oarlocks for forward and mid seats, fiberglass, with teak trim and seats, guessing weight at 125 pounds

Attachments

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
What does the sticker say the hull Id number is or should be cast into the transom we can definitely Id it with the hin.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
What does the sticker say the hull Id number is or should be cast into the transom we can definitely Id it with the hin.
Well that looks like it could easily be home built or before 1974 when Hull Id's started to be used.

I can't help as to what it is, but she is a pretty little thing! I am sure if I had been at that sale, if I had the cash she would have come home with me. Is she as nice condition as she looks? Great find!

And I can here the discussion now, Her "What do you need that for?" Me "Well what do you need that lamp and chair for?"

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Not homebuilt if it has a manufacturers load and motor sticker

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I would be more concerned with making sure the boat has positive flotation after you bury the rail in water. Looks quite narrow and tippy.

·
4,345 Posts
Not homebuilt if it has a manufacturers load and motor sticker
Good point! Perhaps there is some manufacturer listed or some certification number on the sticker? As Newhul said there should be a hull number engraved on the transom, should be on the left side I believe. There is a three letter code for the manufacturer then go here:

Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC) Database

Not sure where you are, but if you have no paperwork you may not be able to register the boat. May not be an issue, as if you don't plan on putting on a motor it may not be required. But if you are going to just use it on a small local lake it may not matter.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Good point! Perhaps there is some manufacturer listed or some certification number on the sticker? As Newhul said there should be a hull number engraved on the transom, should be on the left side I believe. There is a three letter code for the manufacturer then go here:

Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC) Database

Not sure where you are, but if you have no paperwork you may not be able to register the boat. May not be an issue, as if you don't plan on putting on a motor it may not be required. But if you are going to just use it on a small local lake it may not matter.
The occupancy label on every small vessel I have seen has the manufactures name on it as well

·
4,345 Posts
MIC: PEY Status: Inactive
Company: HILINER MARINE Company Official: PETER M SYLVIA
Parent Company: Parent MIC:
Address: 230 CUSHMAN LANE City: SO DARTMOUTH
State: MA Zip: 02748
Fax: In Business: Tuesday, December 19, 1978
Out of Business: Friday, December 28, 2001 Date Modified: Friday, December 28, 2001
Type: Sailboats, (with or without engine) Catamarans, Trimarans

Additional Address:
Comments: STREET ADDRESS: 263 RUSSELLS MILLS OLD ADDRESS: PO BOX P-73 NEW ADDRESS PER FAX DTD 072296. 12/28/2001 OOB PER RNI
Looks like they went out of business in 2001.

Looks like the boat is from 1990. And again nice looking dingy!

·
Dirt Free
2,761 Posts
That HIN looks like it has been tampered with. It is missing one character and the 9th character should be an alpha character

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
she is in good condition - just some teak brightwork removal, some gelcoat fixins - little stuff - we are going to try to take it out today for the first time

Well that looks like it could easily be home built or before 1974 when Hull Id's started to be used.

I can't help as to what it is, but she is a pretty little thing! I am sure if I had been at that sale, if I had the cash she would have come home with me. Is she as nice condition as she looks? Great find!

And I can here the discussion now, Her "What do you need that for?" Me "Well what do you need that lamp and chair for?"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the occupancy label is pretty scuffed up so could not see that detail at first - but now we know the manufacturer HILINER (from the first three characters on stern) - it is easy to see that on the label despite scuffed off characters - so making headway. I cannot find any reference that HILINER made a boat like this - just found motor boats - but it will reveal itself if I keep digging.
I just want to know what they called it, when it was built - and possible dialogue with other owners - guess I am being a bit anal about this little boat - but we are excited to get out on the bay on those sun glissening days (like today) - I am in Pensacola on Pensacola Bay

The occupancy label on every small vessel I have seen has the manufactures name on it as well

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow - googled Peter from the info you found and he had just died this year - obit says he was founder of HILINER MArine

Looks like they went out of business in 2001.

Looks like the boat is from 1990. And again nice looking dingy!

·
Dirt Free
2,761 Posts
The way that HIN has been tampered with, it is much more likely a 1980 model.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts