SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the continued search for "the perfect boat" we have a couple of good contenders, but I want to be sure we're not missing a make/model with our searches. Also, I'm mostly searching yachtworld, but if the perfect boat model exists, but is not currently for sale, I wouldn't know about it unless I asked....

Requirements:
-Pilothouse with steering station. Must have good visibility to steer from this location.
-Berths for 2 adults and 2 kids, occasionally 1-2 guests.
-big fuel tankage
-divided rig, preferably a ketch
-exterior cockpit steering location and place to relax/entertain in warm climes
-blue water capable for milk run and circumnavigating Australia
-must be smaller than my current boat (50' and 30,000lbs)
-must be easier to dock than my current boat (full keel formosa 41)
-must be easy to walk around on deck and stay onboard

Nice to have:
-really good sailing performance
-lots of the offshore equipment already bought/installed
-solid rails instead of lifelines

MedSailor

·
19,485 Posts
jrd22's Brewer PH 40 is one good, but relatively rare candidate.

The Cooper 416 might also fit your bill, and there's quite a few around this area since they were built here.

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
If you hit megabucks the Bruckmann 50 is a pisser of a boat Also Outbound just came out with a raised deck version designed by Bob Perry. Find you end up steering with the AP so having a inside wheel may be over rated

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,136 Posts

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hehe how about this puppy. 1,200gal fuel tank. I calculated that I could motor from Seattle to Sydney DIRECT on one tank of gas....

Willard 40 Pilothouse Motorsailer for sale, 12.19m, 1977 | BoatshedSeattle.com

Thanks for the links so far. It's amazing how few pilothouse sailboats are made with a good steering station down below. Many have windows and a raised saloon, but no steering station, some have a wheel in the living room, but few have a real steering station below.

MedSailor

·
19,485 Posts
The Willard looks more MOTOR than sailer...;)

The standard Sceptre 41s have inside steering, we know several people who own them. Solid, high quality boats but the visibility is not excellent from the helm. The last few built became '43s' with a sugar scoop transom. The very last one built they redesigned the deck mold and raised the house about 4 inches, bigger windows and good visibility from below. It's a one-off, though, and at present still the last of them. Also owned by friends of ours.

I do think, though that both the Sceptre and the Cooper sail pretty well, and the Cooper with it's 14 foot beam is huge. Cooper also built a few Cooper 501s, which is IMO where the 'look' comes into its own.

There is a pretty good pilothouse thread somewhere here on the site.
Found it:
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-...69553-lets-talk-motorsailers-pilothouses.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
although there aren't very many out there and they are pricey, take a look at the Cabo Rico 42 PH or maybe the 45 Pilothouse... inside steering, good visability (except right under the bow).... The company isn't as solid as we would like, but the components and workmanship are top drawer. Both are Cutters, great capacity for stowage, fuel and water, absolutely blue water.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,136 Posts
That one was on the market when we were looking some three years back . The one we were looking at had some problems with teak deck and softness in the PH sides. Had we been living in the PNW we may well have bought her but not at this distance.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What I am looking for seems really rare..... Strange, there is lots of sailing to be done in areas where one might want to steer from indoors....

The Septre looks like it does have a wheel down below, but you'd have to be standing on the couch to steer from it. Now that's strange.... I was hoping for something with a seat, a wheel, and maybe even a place to put a chart. I'd like to steer from the pilothouse often, rather than once in a blue moon.

Many of the other contenders like the brewer look great, but fall down with the prospect of where to put the kids. A V-berth and a double berth would be adequate, but the brewer doesn't have a traditional V berth but rather an angled double. I doubt two boys would want to actually share a bed for several years. I also don't want to be turning a berth in the salon into a bed and back on a daily basis for years, so pilot berths and the like aren't much help either. Another option would be a v-berth and 2 quarter-berths.

I should also probably say that my wife and I haven't agreed on a budget exactly, but I know for sure it's below $150,000. More likely 1/2 of that....

Keep 'em coming. I know someone knows of the perfect boat!

MedSailor

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
What I am looking for seems really rare..... Strange, there is lots of sailing to be done in areas where one might want to steer from indoors....

The Septre looks like it does have a wheel down below, but you'd have to be standing on the couch to steer from it. Now that's strange.... I was hoping for something with a seat, a wheel, and maybe even a place to put a chart. I'd like to steer from the pilothouse often, rather than once in a blue moon.

Many of the other contenders like the brewer look great, but fall down with the prospect of where to put the kids. A V-berth and a double berth would be adequate, but the brewer doesn't have a traditional V berth but rather an angled double. I doubt two boys would want to actually share a bed for several years. I also don't want to be turning a berth in the salon into a bed and back on a daily basis for years, so pilot berths and the like aren't much help either. Another option would be a v-berth and 2 quarter-berths.

I should also probably say that my wife and I haven't agreed on a budget exactly, but I know for sure it's below $150,000. More likely 1/2 of that....

Keep 'em coming. I know someone knows of the perfect boat!

MedSailor
In my searches I've found little in the way of pilothouses... but here is one if you haven't seen it yet in your search...

1988 Slocum 43

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own a van de stadt norman 40ft. Mine does not have steering inside but many do . We are very happy with the sailing ability of the yacht . They are mainly steel ,with a few aluminum ones .huge fuel and water tanks , nice big engine, 3 cabins ,fantastic visibility from inside . If you google it you will find a few for sale

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have finally given up my search for this very type of boat as they are few and far between. If i only had another $100 k... anyhow i am familiar a with all of the pilothouse sailboats on the west coast for sale. I have even been on many of them. 38 ft is more common . 40 less common. Garbage boats are very common.
let me know how I can help.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts