SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I research models of used sailboats, I find the newer ones with a walk through transom, or sugar scoop transom, more accessible and practical.

I am trying to find out what year most of the manufacturers changed to this style. For example, I found that O'day changed in 1986 I believe. I need to know bout Hunter, Benetau and any others. That will help me find my 34 footer whithout spending countless hours looking at pictures.
Thanks your your help

·
Registered
315 Posts
You can check the Catalina 34 and other similar websites from major manufacturers (or enthusiast websites). They often have history including in some cases when specific features were added or changed. For example The Catalina 34 International Association has old brochures and loads of other info on the Catalina 34. I think the O'day 35 was one of the earlier major production boats with a "swim platform" (sounds better than "sugar scoop"!)

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Along with, sugar scoop to me is NOT the swim platform you are looking for. A sugar scoop to me is an extension put on the transom that will extend the waterline of some boats, nothing more or less.

I am recalling Jeanneau about 1990 having swim platforms, before that, boats will have a sugar scoop stern, which looks like a sugar scoop attached to the stern.

Marty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts