SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Dirt Free
2,664 Posts
CAB (Stroker) did not make sailboats. It sure looks like a Catalina who used CTY and CUE.
Either you have misread the HIN/MIC or its been tampered with which is more common than you'd think.

Can you post a photo ? I have some experience with tampered HIN's

Whats A HIN ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the HIN # does not look to be tampered with. i thought i originally wrote the numbers down wrong but i went back and they were in fact correct. i cannot find a Catalina with comparable design. has inboard yanmar diesel and tiller steering.

Attachments

·
Dirt Free
2,664 Posts
That does not look like a Catalina HIN. All Catalina HIN's that I have seen were inscribed but for one which was molded (like the one in your photo) and turned out to be fake.

The HIN says the hull was built in December 1977

·
19,489 Posts
The trim looks like O Day to me..

·
Dirt Free
2,664 Posts
O'Day HIN's are XDY and XPJ

·
19,489 Posts

·
Dirt Free
2,664 Posts
Since the HIN still does not match, I'd still be a little wary.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
for what reason would someone replace the number on the boat with a different one? possibly making an offer on this boat next weekend. last registered in 2001 but has a beautiful 12hp yanmar and is very dry down below. owner wants $2500

·
19,489 Posts
I wonder if they recylce HINs if companies cease production?? It's pretty clear that this is an example of that particular model, and the HIN picture doesn't look tampered with.. If it surveys well that's a pretty nice boat for someone...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts