SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5,600 Posts
Reaction score
We've done the trip up the jersey shore 4 times. Hardest part is the timing down the Delaware bay out to Cape May. if you can get under the bridges in the Cape May canal it will be much easier. If not, Cape Henlopen is a good alternative with plenty of room to anchor.
Going N from Cape May you can bail out into Atlantic City pretty easily. If you anchor there, know the current runs very strong so make sure you are set well.
We dont carry a raft but do have a spot tracker.

The run down the East River is fantastic. We do Northport to Sandy Hook in an easy day with the current pushing us up to 11 knots.

We should be leaving the Upper Ches around the same time...

· Registered
5,600 Posts
Reaction score
The ride down the East River is the best part. Just keep going and save your money!

You have choices...Head out of Cape May and if its not good the divert to Atlantic City is easy. If conditions are good arc northeast and get going. If you make good time you can run all the way to MV, if not drop into Block. Be aware the current up Vineyard Sound runs about 2.5 knots so watch your timing thru there.

Have you checked rates for moorings and dockage up that way? $$$$
We don't spend a dime on mooring or dockage as there are places to anchor if you don't mind a longer dink ride.

· Registered
5,600 Posts
Reaction score
I'd leave the jerry cans behind, if I were you...

Very little good comes of carrying diesel fuel on deck, especially on a trip where it's not necessary to do so...

:)
Very little good? Like being able to refuel and keep going rather than sit out in the ocean waiting and waiting for wind?

We've done a half dozen coastal hops and had no wind most of the time. Carrying extra fuel on deck was very nice to have to keep going.

Now, long range offshore trips might be a different situation. But we're talking near shore runs.

· Registered
5,600 Posts
Reaction score
In the several years I've carried 6 diesel and gasoline jerry jugs, I've barely spilled a few drops of fuel. I regularly fill the diesel tank plus the (gasp) Honda 2k genset and the dink fuel tank on the (gasp) davits! I also run with scissors 3 times a day just to stay in practice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.