SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
Tartan 37
Joined
·
5,468 Posts
Reaction score
1,292
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning on venturing out of the Chesapeake (for the first time) with the intent to head north, hopefully to Marthas Vineyard, then stop a few places in between on the way back.

We don't have a long time, 16/17 days total leaving July 4th and returning to Rock Creek/Patapsco River by July 19th or 20th.

I am finishing up a few last projects and should be ready to cast off in time.

Any thoughts and suggestions on places to stay(like should I make reservations asap), must see, things to know, etc...

I need/want to get an EPIRB, should I rent a liferaft? The furthest from shore we'll be looks about 50 miles or so during our straight shot from Cape May to the Vineyard...otherwise the rest will be inside LIS or along the Jersey coast on the way back.

Thanks...I look forward to hearing what you experienced folks have to say.
 

· Registered
Tartan 37
Joined
·
5,468 Posts
Reaction score
1,292
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks folks, this is great info...

I primarily want to get to MV, Block, and NYC and if time allows, Mystic or Newport.

What line from Cape May to MV is best, straight shot or go a little more east, hitting block first is a good idea as well, but would you suggest that from Cape May or go inside LIS first?

I will make a reservation in Cape May soon, probably Utsche's marina
 

· Registered
Tartan 37
Joined
·
5,468 Posts
Reaction score
1,292
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shawn

Sounds like fun. If this helps any, this is our blog of part of our trip. It was the first time for us in these waters. We bought our Irwin 34 in Edgewater MD and sailed her home to Canada. The blog for the part of the journey you are talking about starts here.

As to equipment - you need to get what makes you comfortable. For us, an EPIRB and a life raft were not on our "need to have list", but each is responsible for their own safety.
Great blog, thanks for sharing, I will be reading this thoroughly :)
 

· Registered
Tartan 37
Joined
·
5,468 Posts
Reaction score
1,292
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree its a little rushed, I wouldn't have an issue with spending most of the time MV and Block :) With several suggestions so far I am leaning towards going to Block Island first then MV...after that we'll see what we feel up to. I do want to relax, at the same time I want to take advantage of the opportunity to get up there and see as much as we can comfortably. NYC is slowly moving to the bottom of the list, maybe on another trip. I have been there often by land, and frankly afraid if I step onto Manhattan I will end up spending to much $$$ at restaurants, I was already thinking about dinner one night at Per Se or Daniel! LOL
 

· Registered
Tartan 37
Joined
·
5,468 Posts
Reaction score
1,292
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I am often very ambitious then reality begins to set in :)

I appreciate all the comments, I anticipate needing to run the engine about 2-4 hours a day if my usage is similar to what I have been recording over the past few weeks with the new refer installed, what I haven't considered (and cant) is how much power the auto pilot and plotter will use 24 hrs a day.

The radar works fine, and I'm pretty good at using it but by no means an expert.
 

· Registered
Tartan 37
Joined
·
5,468 Posts
Reaction score
1,292
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have considered from the beginning of this keeping the boat up there and coming back a few weeks later with some friends. Any suggestions on some decent transient marinas/moorings etc that are reasonable. I would consider two to three weeks if need be.
 

· Registered
Tartan 37
Joined
·
5,468 Posts
Reaction score
1,292
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Thanks SailNetters, all great info...I cant tell you how much I appreciate it!

I am honing in on where to go with all this great input, at the same time we'll play it by ear (and the currents/tides) for a lot of it.

At this stage I am planning the trip around Block and Marthas Vineyard perhaps Newport/Mystic and save NYC and the East River another year, we'll pass through but not spend much time in any one place.

MV is important to us to visit as we have a friend who has a wonderful Diner there called Artcliff. She is the person who set my wife and I up on our first date, we haven't seen her in a while and have never made it to her diner. Therefore the strong desire to get to MV.

My Eldridge book is on board and will pick it up this weekend and start more precise planning through the C&D and Delaware and post it for input. Being a Chesapeake sailor mostly...I honestly never pay much attention to the currents and tides except in a few areas, and even then they're still only 1-3 knots max. Knowing and reading the tides I think will be the thing I am most "concerned" about, well the rocks too...I'm used to mud and silt :)
 

· Registered
Tartan 37
Joined
·
5,468 Posts
Reaction score
1,292
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
My advice is to bring plenty of fuel so you can motor nearly the whole way, if necessary (I am carrying 31 gallons this time)...
I will fill in Cape May (50 gallon tank on our boat using about .5 gallons an hour at 5.5 knots) plus at least two Jerry cans = 60 gallons total. Conservatively that 100+ hours of motoring if needed. Shouldn't that be sufficient?
 

· Registered
Tartan 37
Joined
·
5,468 Posts
Reaction score
1,292
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
This is a family trip right? We think your kids are great but we haven't sailed with them. Passages, even short ones, are an issue if kids need maintenance.

If you time the currents right, Annapolis to Cape Henlopen is 24 hours. Take a break behind the inner breakwater and it's 1-1/2 days to Point Judith. A lot depends on how your girls will do going straight through.

In my opinion Atlantic City and Manasquan are straightforward inlets. If you head from the Delaware to RI on a good weather forecast your bailout is your destination.

Eldridge is fine but the NOAA current tables ( 2014 Tidal Current Predictions - NOAA Tides & Currents ) are your best data source.

If it where me, I'd depart on the favorable current and go straight through to MV. That may not work for you. I'd do LIS in a straight shot to City Island and stage for the East River current - the East River is an experience. Stage again at Sandy Hook for Atlantic City and then Cape Henlopen (I don't fit through Cape May) for the currents up the Delaware Bay. What works for me may not work for you. If the girls can look after themselves and your wife can stand a watch on her own you'll be set. Otherwise you need to hop your way along.
Thanks Dave...If time permits Saturday, I wouldn't mind going over a few things with you one on one.
 

· Registered
Tartan 37
Joined
·
5,468 Posts
Reaction score
1,292
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Ok ok...so maybe scaling back a bit this time would be prudent. M.V. is out unless I choose to keep the boat up there and come back in early August to sail it home with some knuckleheads.

I think I said it already, I am often overly ambitious and probably selfish wanting to go straight, even to B.I. Its important that the family has fun and enjoy the trip or they wont want to ever go again. So we'll do the coast keeping about in aboout 60 feet or so and with in a few hours of the shore. I have to remind myself this is my wife and kids first trip in the ocean. None of us have ever been seasick before, but they have never been ocean sailing so who knows right.

I have done everything to the boat I can think of to prepare short of new sails. My biggest worry is the age of the sails. I have three head sails, (furling genoa, converted jib, and storm sail) the main has three reefs, never used the third. The spinnaker is going to stay home, pole is broken anyway ;)
 

· Registered
Tartan 37
Joined
·
5,468 Posts
Reaction score
1,292
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Funny the things one starts to think about when they preparing a boat...The PO of our boat sailed it to Bermuda several times, from Maine to the Gulf...and there are no padeyes?

I put one near the companion way and another at the helm, center and low...I'm thinking I should have put it a little higher for my ankles sake...where in a T shaped cockpit do you like to place padeyes?

Do Jerry cans of diesel have to be carried on deck? Can they be put in a locker, I like the idea of putting one in a cockpit locker in a heavy plastic bag strapped in. No combustion issue right?

The dingy fuel tank will go on deck under the dingy...Once in LIS the dingy on the davit should be fine correct? Just thinking out loud a little...
 

· Registered
Tartan 37
Joined
·
5,468 Posts
Reaction score
1,292
Discussion Starter · #80 · (Edited)
Yes...made our reservation at Utches for the 5th. The plotter is mounted, powered but we're waiting on a NMEA cable for the GPS. I am disappointed in how the screen looks, hopefully over the winter I will replace it per Dave/Auspicious.

I agree the extra fuel for this trip is not needed, but it can't hurt ;) The motor seems to be sipping about .5 - .75 gph but it still only has about 60 hours on it...I haven't really been tracking the fuel consumption like I usually had with the old engine.
 

· Registered
Tartan 37
Joined
·
5,468 Posts
Reaction score
1,292
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Shawn, What chartplotter do you have that you're disappointed in and what do you plan on replacing it with?

I'm vicariously enjoying hearing about your planning and upcoming adventure!
A boat neighbor sold me his used C80...fairly cheap, but the glass has more distortion then I had thought. I hope to replace the glass then all should be fine. Funny how a relatively in expensive item (the plotter) turned into a rather costly project...I suppose I shouldn't be surprised after all its a boat. ;-)
 

· Registered
Tartan 37
Joined
·
5,468 Posts
Reaction score
1,292
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Maybe it's time to start a new thread on the values of carrying a variety of sails including how main sails should one have aboard on a coastal sail? Just say'in!
 

· Registered
Tartan 37
Joined
·
5,468 Posts
Reaction score
1,292
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I'll be doing a DelMarVa circumnavigation in August.

My plans for communications are:
VHF with DSC, tied to GPS. Got it
SPOT tracker with SAR service.
Cell phone when close enough to shore. Got it plus a hot spot for the laptop

This link: Rescue 21 Distress System Coverage

...was recently provided to me. It states (and shows with a map) that USCG VHF range, is engineered to project at least 30 miles offshore, and often goes much further than that.

These projections factor in a boat's VHF antenna only 2 meters off the water, not even masthead mounted antenna.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from an EPIRB, just trying to provide some useful information. Do whatever makes you comfortable.got a PLB, picked it over an EPIRB in case we use it for other things as well, like hiking

I'm not going with a liferaft either.
I will have good jacklines, harnesses, etc. got it

Something oft overlooked is a securing mechanism and tethers for your hatchboards. done, almost ;)If a hatchboard washes overboard, you now have a huge hole in your boat. I also have a "spare set"
I had a PM on a good buy on a used Life raft but I'm already over budget and I haven't even gone shopping for food yet, oh well
 

· Registered
Tartan 37
Joined
·
5,468 Posts
Reaction score
1,292
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Enjoying a great trip so far. In Cape May tonight...then off to points north Sunday. Met another T37 owner at Utches today taking pretty much the same route. Had a great combination of sail and motor down the Delaware Bay today.

Last evening we anchored inside Reedy Island. Athe low tide we saw we were a bit to close for comfort to some old pilings and move the boat a little east of the shore just south of the cable area. It should marked on the charts but I didn't see anything. Could have mucked things up for us, beware. I will try to remember to post a photo.

Cheers
 

· Registered
Tartan 37
Joined
·
5,468 Posts
Reaction score
1,292
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Made our first sail in the Atlantic as a family aboard this boat...and what a perfect day it was. Cape May to Barnegat. I made a major goof coming through the inlet, with a 20 knot south wind gusting higher we turn to port and set the main sail without the preventer and a large roller caused an accidental jibe which tore our main (which is fairly old) along the lower seam. Oops! We reef today since there's going to be winds in the high 20s all day so I think we just push forward to Liberty Island or Atlantic Highland.

Prior to the inlet at Barnegat we enjoyed an awesome day surfing the waves often in the high 8s and the GPS shows we hit 10.9 at one point. The kids are having a blast as are we even with the minor set back with the main sail. Kids got to see dolphins and we hooked a good sized something but it snapped the lure and ate half the other...from a distance it looked like it could have been a tuna?
Everyone is having a blast...great experience for all of us with some lessons learned along the way. The boat is loving the ocean...I think she is happy to be back :)
 

· Registered
Tartan 37
Joined
·
5,468 Posts
Reaction score
1,292
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
The winds have been ideal for us...it's been a long time since I have sailed in the ocean I forgot how much I loved it. We're in Atlantic Highlands today and hope to get our sail repaired tomorrow. The kids have been so awesome, not once have I had to remind them to clip in when out of the cabin...in fact they seem to have more confidence and comfort wearing their harness and tethers.

Tomorrow we"ll take a ferry from here into Manhattan and be tourist, going to surprise one of my former students and have lunch at Cafe Boulud where she is currently working! Hopefully we'll get the sail back in a day then onto the East River and west!

Cheers
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top