SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Reaction score
I agree its a little rushed, I wouldn't have an issue with spending most of the time MV and Block :) With several suggestions so far I am leaning towards going to Block Island first then MV...after that we'll see what we feel up to. I do want to relax, at the same time I want to take advantage of the opportunity to get up there and see as much as we can comfortably. NYC is slowly moving to the bottom of the list, maybe on another trip. I have been there often by land, and frankly afraid if I step onto Manhattan I will end up spending to much $$$ at restaurants, I was already thinking about dinner one night at Per Se or Daniel! LOL
Naw, hit up Momofuku noodle bar! Awesome food, only slightly more expensive than McDonald's.

4,354 Posts
Reaction score
Any chance you can find or borrow another pole? Given the amount of lighter airs you're likely to encounter on this trip, flying a chute could afford some of the most fun you could have underway...
Well you could always use a bit of bamboo?!?!?!?!:rolleyes:

sorry could not help it.

Sounds like a great trip and I think you are smart to scale back a bit. It seems so close when you look at it on a map/chart, but once actually doing it it can take longer than you think. Our society is so go go speed happy it is sometimes hard to judge distances when it is only a short flight or a quick 75 MPH drive. If it were me I would push to make it to your friend's restaurant and then see what happens on the way back. Often the best trips are ones without real plans, and weather can mess with plans. Kids can get quite upset when they don't get to do the "one thing" they wanted. And saying next time to a kid, and heck even a lot of adults, is the same as saying never. And ensuring the family has a good time makes it more likely they will want to do it again. If every one has fun before you know it the wife will start with, well if we cut back every week we can take a few years off and go to the islands.....

You never know!

4,354 Posts
Reaction score
Wow, no one carries a spare mainsail in New England! That is an amazing fact!:rolleyes:

Why do you think so many sailors carry several jibs or at least a backup jib, but not a backup main?

Seems like a smart idea to me...

Here is the blog post on the couple who lost their mainsail on a coastal hop, and the difficulties it caused them: What I know... - Vacilando

The fact is, on a short coastal hop, no one wants to send a sail out to a loft, or rely exclusively on the engine. Why not bend on a spare main. We do own SAILboats, after all (at least some of us do).

(By the way, I realize a number of you don't really ever sail, but are content to motor to various destinations, with the mainsail trimmed to centerline. You might be more comfortable in a trawler, so why pretend?)
Most people who travel with multiple head sails do it so they have a sail that is good for the conditions. Redundancy is just a side benefit. For a costal cruse it seems to me that you could have some boxes packed and labeled at home. Have one box labeled Main Sail, another extra Jib and what not. If you blow out a main sail, call home have it sent FedEx overnight to the nearest port. Worst case is going to be that you have to motor to the next port. Would not likely cost more than 1/2 day and $25. I am assuming you are doing this solo, as you talk about going off shore alone a lot.

I would not do this for anything like an extra impeller for your raw water pump or fuel filters. But really big things that will take up that much room and you have other options to get by for a day or two I think I would leave it at home, but prepared to be shipped if needed. Now if you had a really big boat with lots of storage then sure.

Yes we are on sailboats, but being on a sailboat means being on flexible schedules. You start trying to push so hard you plan on having 300 hours worth of fuel on board, you might as well not be on a sailboat. If you are worried about the expense of being away from work so long, drive up and charter a boat for the week. That will give you several more days to enjoy yourself at your final destination. I understand that you seem to want to gain offshore miles but what is the point if you push yourself so hard just to get someplace and turn around and go back. You don't have time to enjoy what you are going past at 6 miles an hour? Look at Cursing Lealea they spent something like an extra 30 days or more on one of there crossings due to lack of wind. They still did not turn on there motor except to charge batteries and make water. They even missed a gathering of other Vegas. Now that is cruising in a sailboat. What you are talking about is more like commuting to a meeting that you are late for via a sailboat. Frustrating before you even leave.

4,354 Posts
Reaction score
Wow looks like a great time! your girls are adorable! Lucky you that they sail with you, enjoy it while you can. It does not last long at all before they want to do there own thing and horror of all horrors start having boyfriends! That is when life as you know it is over!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.