SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,862 Posts
Reaction score
Nice plan. My advice is mostly about my neighborhood. I've done the trip back you've described on a delivery, but we didn't stop.

For the trip up I agree an EPIRB and raft cannot hurt. Hopefully the weather gods will cooperate and deliver the SW wind you're supposed to get with the short time window. If not, I'd wait for it. Weather has been weird this year, lots of persistent easterlies, hopefully that will end before you leave!

Our favorite local haunts include Cuttyhunk, Tarplin Cove, Menemsha, Hadleys, and Lake Tashmoo (requires shallow draft which I think you have board up). The area is busy in the summer, but these places tend to be relatively quiet(er). Places like Tarplin are not all weather, either are the and outside moorings at Menemsha, but are good in prevailing SWers.

For a little more noise go to Vineyard Haven. To rub elbows with the rich and infamous, go to Edgartown (ego town). To experience the disneyland like atmosphere of cobblestones and tons of tourists, go the the Nantucket. And if you need to party, go to Oak Bluffs, expect to raft on a mooring if they have space.

On the cape side, Hyannis or Falmouth might be a good place to provision, etc. If you come to Falmouth, call the harbormaster in advance, they may be able to put you on a dock, and groceries are within walking distance, but it's busy so call and try to reserve space.

On your way back, we like Block Island. Other netters can give you much more data on Newport, Long Island, CT, NY, etc. I remember doing the East River at night, pretty spectacular with the city light of NYC.

Mind the currents in Vineyard/Nantucket sound. They run 2-3kts, if you time them right your trips between these places will be much quicker. Careful in Woods Hole, it's a money maker for the local marina's, at least one boat on the rocks per week peak season...time the tides there too if you can.

Sounds like a great trip.

· Registered
1,862 Posts
Reaction score
Chef

If you decide to leave it someplace for a week or 2, suggest you don't in my neighborhood. Our summer mooring prices and dock prices are crazy high. Too much demand, they all fill up.

Example: Vineyard Haven Moorings at $45/night, dockage at $4.75ft/night.

Example: $3ft Falmouth Inner harbor/night - a relative bargain

And the winner: $6/ft in Nantucket boat basin.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.