SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to tackle the electrical panel.
I just purchased a Hunter 37 cutter and I am redoing the interior. At this time I am working on the electric wiring and have a question for you experts.
Should I wire every circuit using single marine wire (of proper gauge and color) such as black for ground and diferent color for each circuit. (same as car wiring) or can I run every circuit using marine sheathed cable (of proper gauge) that has red and black in the same sheath.(similar to wiring a house, circuits are labeled)

It seems that using sheathed cable would be neeter and faster. Both ends can be labeled or numbered.

What is the norm???.

Your advise is welcomed

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
use the sheathed stuff, its easier to make it pretty, and if you ever need to trace it it is much easier as well.

use a nice new sharpee to write what it is every few feet and then either paint over the writing with clear nail polish, clear lacquer or clear heat shrink

·
Registered
407 Posts
You should use yellow as your DC negative/ ground wire colour. Black is used as the "hot" wire in 110VAC wiring and can be confused easily. Different colours for each circuit isn't a bad idea but you will run out of colours very quickly. Just label each circuit properly and you won't have a problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts