SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Help me spend $300???

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Locke 
#1 ·
Howdy folks, that's right! I need some advice on how to spend about $300. My company does rewards for stuff I'm already doing. This time is a $300 refund on a purchase. Water sports, which sailing is, is one of the approved things. So I'm looking for ideas on something I could add to my boat.
I have 1983 Macgregor 22 that I think I have pretty well outfitted. I'm working on making a tiller extension at the moment. Waiting on parts. But I'm looking at comfort things. I have only sailed in my local lake. I am planning on doing the Texas 200 once I gain some more experience. New mainsail, genoa, running rigging and deck hardware for it. Only idea that comes to me is a tiller pilot or a new poptop cover.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
autopilot!!
good rain gear
nesting pans and pans
small 300w inverter to power your toys
spare water pump
spare macerator pump
new charts/chartplotter
better mattress (most over looked upgrade that makes a HUGE difference)
fans
cockpit cushions
hatch screens
CO detector alarm
electric flare
solar!!!

#3 ·
What's your solar set up like? Would be nice having enough juice to run your tiller pilot for the Texas 200. Should be able to do a basic ~100 watt solar set up for under $300.

Satellite tracker/coms can be nice when you start doing coastal stuff in smaller boats too. Inreach/SpotX or similar.

#4 ·
I have a small solar panel 50w if I'm not mistaken. But I have a large deep cycle battery and everything is low draw. Only have LED lights and one fan. I use a Lowrance Hook 2 7" for navigation and depth as that's what I have. I have a handheld GPS as well. A larger panel would be welcome though.
My boat came with a new 400w inverter that has never been used.
I just picked up a nesting pot and pan set with kettle, stock pot, sauce pan, frying pan, lids, handle, plates, bowls, and basic utensils.
It's a 22ft trailer sailer. I don't need macerator or water pumps. My only faucet has a built in manual pump.
The dinette converts into a bed. It's in good shape.
Rain gear would be nice. I have a good rain jacket but pants would be a good idea.
I have a hatch screen but a companionway screen would be nice.
I need to look into communications. I have a handheld HAM radio and I'm studying for my HAM license. But I understand that HAM is not that common. I have been considering a small Midland radio I see people make hammo cans with. Any thoughts on that? Something small and efficent would be best.

#8 ·
I need to look into communications. I have a handheld HAM radio and I'm studying for my HAM license. But I understand that HAM is not that common. I have been considering a small Midland radio I see people make hammo cans with. Any thoughts on that? Something small and efficent would be best.
Thing is with radios, there needs to be some one listening within range for them to work. Some times there is, some times there isn't.

You can have a two way satellite messenger for under $300. Text, email, FB. And they are multi use. Car trouble out of cell range? No problem. Hiking, skiing, horse back riding, cruise, trip out of the country?

This is one, there are others in the price range. SPOT SPOT X Satellite Messenger with Bluetooth | West Marine

#7 ·
I have a stainless steel propane stove that was left in the boat when I bought it.
I got some cushions for the cockpit seats last year.
I have a Danforth 8s anchor with 6 ft of chain and 100' of rode and an unknown 14lb Delta type anchor. Again 6 ft chain and 100' of rode. I have an extra 100' of rode.
Hmmm.... Multi use items. I'll have to look into that as well.

#10 ·
If you have everything you need, what about some luxury item you wouldn't normally buy?
My GF hates my birthday and Christmas because I already have everything (except a new bigger boat...)

Theres nothing wring with splurging a "windfall" on cool sailing sunglasses or a few nice outdoor shirts etc. :)

#11 ·
That was my thought. I could put in a little extra and get a tiller pilot, or a magma type grill or something like that. Something where I can show off at the local sailing club but has practical uses. Radios are super practical and are something I will eventually get. Tiller pilot isn't all that needed but would be a welcome relief when I want to get a drink from the cooler or grab a sandwich.
I'm newish to sailing and I'm self taught from ASA books and just getting out sailing. I don't know what kinds of things others have on their boats. I've only sailed on my boat and a friend's that only used his as a floating bed. I'm a bit isolated from the sailing community. I wanted to sail so I did. That's why I like this forum. I can ask for ideas and people post them. I really like hearing what other's would do as it gives me ideas for what I can do.
I'm also the type that's hard to shop for because if I want something and can afford it I buy it. If I can't afford it I make it or wait until I can.
So lets reword the question. What $300ish item would you like for your boat?

#13 ·
My usual lake is a few miles long and about 3/4 mile wide. I usually don't have trouble with it being crowded as most people give respectful distance (except for jetskies). I can usually go lengthwise in an hour or so. I do agree that a tiller pilot isn't all that needed but would be nice. I don't know if I would have room for a fridge but that would be super nice. I'll look into that. Good idea!

#16 ·
Gills are good of course, and, if you get on their email list, they have periodic clearance sales. I have also had West Marine's foulies, and they're good for coastal cruising. I use West Marines for racing and daytime sailing, and Gills for distances cruises and all night sailing. I suggest you ask local sailors what foulies they recommend for warm weather sailing. My foulies are designed to keep you warm and dry. You need foulies mostly to keep you dry.

#19 ·
Well, to answer your re-worded question : From a marine consignment joint, 35lb anchor with 30' chain and 300' of 3-strand, and be ready to fork over a bit more than $300.

As a former USCG coxswain, for you I'd recommend a portable waterproof vhf...if you're carrying it in your life jacket pocket and fall overboard, although you may be too far from nearest CG station, if near coastal you'll always have one or more vessels passing by you can try hailing on 16.....my portable unit was $125... with remainder, it you single-hand, get jack line setup...btw, whomever came up with the 'Break Out Another Thousand' needs to update that to '...another few thousand'....so I bought a BOAFT

#20 ·
A portable VHF has been on the wish list for quite a while now. It'd be about perfect for my boat as a dedicated unit isn't as needed.
I have thought of setting up a jackline. But I would need a harness and stuff. It is a great idea at any rate. I may be able to make one.

#21 ·
If you don't have a vhf then that should be high on your list, particularly if you plan on doing some racing. The race committee doesn't communicate via cell phone. It is also a good piece of safety equipment every boat should have.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.