SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I scored a MA 8hp tohatsu with charging it runs great but it needs new seals on drive and prop shafts and the local dealer too me they don't carry parts for the per 84 engines anymore any help would be appreciated hate to junk it .

·
Registered
182 Posts
NEWHAUL,

If you have a seal and bearing place near by, check your phone book, or look on the interthing. After suitably cleaning them, no one wants to get all greasy and messed up. Bring the parts that need to be sealed, the wretched remains of any bearings and seals you need to replace, a contrite attitude and a pocket full of cash and I'll bet the counter person at that bearing place can come up with something that will work, or they will be able to tell you why nothing can work. You may have a damaged housing or scored up shaft or somethin'. If you find the right place, the guy or gal on the counter may not know an outboard engine from a forecastle but they will have a clue about seals and bearings, what works and what doesn't.

Good luck!
O'

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
If they are seals on bearings then you may need to do a lot more hunting (OPossumTX response). If they are gaskets for static mating surfaces then you can make a new gasket using gasket material from an auto parts store or try one of the liquid gaskets.

If using a liquid gasket, clean the surfaces and wipe of any cleaning solvent, don't fully tighten the mating parts until after the liquid gasket has fully set.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If they are seals on bearings then you may need to do a lot more hunting (OPossumTX response). If they are gaskets for static mating surfaces then you can make a new gasket using gasket material from an auto parts store or try one of the liquid gaskets.

If using a liquid gasket, clean the surfaces and wipe of any cleaning solvent, don't fully tighten the mating parts until after the liquid gasket has fully set.
Unfortunately I will have to do the micrometer and the books bit its the driveshaft seal was just hoping for an easy one but no I always have the hard ones. Thanks for all the replies

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Tried them and they don't carry parts for that old of a machine they say views the next step is a mike and the books.
Thanks for the link
Remove (press out) the old seal without damaging it and take it, the shafting and the 'housing' that it fits into - to a INDUSTRIAL BEARING supply house; let them determine the precise dimensions. All such seals are installed with an 'interference fit', meaning that the seal OD is larger than the 'hole/bore' it fits into. Also, there may be an ID code on one of the surfaces of the seal that such a supplier can cross-reference. Tohatsu, etc. doesnt 'make' such seals, they buy such seals from common sources; therefore, the replacement should still be commonly available.
Such industrial bearing, seals, etc. supply sources are quite common: Bearings Inc., Callahan Inc., etc. Consult your internet 'local yellow pages' guide. There will probably be a small charge for them to ID or precisely measure the removed seal, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts