SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
I was press ganged into being the VC Sailing for next season. We are a very small community based club of about forty members. We have a mix of sail and power boats. Currently there about ten sail boats, mostly a mix of pocket cruisers under 26feet, along with a couple McVay Bluenose sloops and some smaller daysailers as well.
We currently only have one sailing event in August, and I'd like to expand it considerably. The age of the membership is decidely in the 50 plus demographic, but there have been some younger members joining.

This past summer I was able to get a weekly Wednesday sailing night going, with about six boats getting involved. I would like to expand upon that.

What would be some good fun sailing events to try?

I would like to develop some sort of handi cap system for races, as well as some fun events, perhaps a scavenger hunt with sailboats(not sure how to make that work), stuff like that.

Also, I'm thinking of holding three or four races that accumulate points toward a club championship.

On the handicapping matter, would a golf type system work? Perhaps all boats would be rated against the fastest time of the various events regardless of equipment? The results collectively then used to develop individual handicaps.

Any ideas?

· Registered
16 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the great thoughts so far!
I definitely like the pursuit style race idea.
I have a clean slate, in that there is no racing culture currently at the club. I just want to encourage people to get out and give it a try. It is a sleepy place, with some recent fairly new to sailing members, myself included recently joining. Time to change the culture.
I hope to get more experienced sailors to mentor the new ones, either by switching crews around, or have the experienced sailor join various boats though out the season. I have one particular senior member in mind to help in this.
I'll start learning about the PHRF System
How does a Chili Dash work?
Keep the ideas coming please!
Thanks, Peter

· Registered
16 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great suggestions Multihullgirl, thanks!
I like the non racing activities. We sail on a stretch of the Ottawa River just west of Ottawa, Canada. It's a good size body of water, though we can only travel 20 miles or so because of dams. So the longer trips won't work. We are also hoping to get people to come out socially on the Wednesday evening, even if they don't sail. We'll see how it goes.

I need to press a good social director into service. :)

I'm still not quite clear on how the rabbit starts the race. Does the boat sail the length of the start/finish line, and the other boats cross afterwards?

· Registered
16 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks Pendragon, I agree that the starts can be intimidating. The pursuit races seem like a fun idea. I will likely try hold both kind of starting formats next year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.