SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a little nice pearson 22.5 feet long, 3000 lbs. Its in RI and i live in SC. Could someone tow it down the ICW if he/she already has plans to come south, and I pay for his diesel? Or could someone RENT me his trailer? Its a full keel little boat.

Thanks

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,630 Posts
Look closer to home it will save you thousands!

·
Master Mariner
9,220 Posts
Nobody is going to be able to tow that boat that distance, behind a yacht. It would have to be manned with someone to steer it in the wake of the tow boat in confined waters like the ICW, secured along side, anchored near or put in a marina each night. The logistics of that tow would be a nightmare.
Hire a delivery skipper, rent a trailer (if it's trailerable), take a few weeks off and move her yourself or do as suggested by deniseO30.

Reactions: killarney_sailor

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I'm guessing it's an Ensign. Its a nice daysailer, but not something I would want to take on a trip that long. Main reason it does not have a self-bailing cockpit. Any water that gets in the cockpit ends up in the bilge. You only option is to ship it or rent a trailer and move it yourself. Your best option is to look closer to home as Denise said.

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
So far the responses to the towing request have been very polite so THANK YOU. Kostis (a chat regular) is new to sailing and is eager to sail his own boat. I considered removing at least the towing part but then decided that maybe he could learn something. I'm going to keep an eye on the thread just in case.

Kostis, the chances of anyone towing a boat for you down the ICW, one you've never seen, is going to be (taking a WAG here) nil.

Reactions: chrissailorman

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
An alternative would be to find a yacht trucking company who needs to return back south but without an empty load. Negotiate, Negotiate, Negotiate, ... as an Ensign would be a very small load and not much 'bother', the only real cost would be loading and unloading from the flat bed at the beginning and ending marinas.

Also check with haulers who contract with small boat manufacturers ... as they may have space available for 'one more' and of course NEGOTIATE.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts