SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a C&C 25 and it is a great looking boat. I bought it from a guy who recently bought it from another person and it is still in the yacht club of the former owner. When I tried to contact the former owner to get the boat out of the club they were just a little upset over what happened. The guy that sold me the boat assured me that this person wouldnt mind and that they had been informed. I actually called the other person before buying it, but didnt hear back until today. Now they are saying that I need to get it out of the club ASAP. The person who sold me the boat has been honest with me and produced receipts and his emails with the former owner. I actually understand why the other person is upset, its a great boat that they sold at a great price and they cant have a non member in the club. What should I do or say when I contact the club? The old owner is saying that I might have to pay extra for the launch. I though that the launch would already be included from the previous year. What type of cost may I incure if I have to pay to have it launched? Any suggestions are welcome.

Aaron

·
Barking Dog
237 Posts
"Yacht Clubs" are usually social clubs that don't do much with launching or maintaining boats. I have known a few that have dock space available. Does this particular yacht club provide full service? If they do, then have them prepare the boat for the season and launch it. Then you will need to drive your new boat to where you are keeping it for the season. You should have to pay to get the boat ready for the season and the launch. Figure about $500-$1000 for the whole thing.

Another option that could be cheaper would be to hire a boat transport service to move the boat from the Yacht Club to an "open" boat yard where you can do the work on the boat to get it ready for the season. If you go this route, then find the yard and then ask them how to get the boat there and launched when ready. Chances are they have the equipment to do this for you and will give you a package price.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
An honest club or marina would include the launch, since it was probably paid for with the previous winter's storage. Some will charge you again, since you didn't pay for the launch.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I bought my boat from a guy at a yacht club. I bought her in October, so the boat was already on the hard for the winter. Come spring, I went to the yard and did work on the boat myself, and had someone come in and redo the bottom (a guy who did a lot of work for club members). I was told by the prior owner that launching the boat was already paid for, and sure enough, the club crew never asked me for a dime. The one thing I was told would be a charge is if I kept the boat at a slip for more than a couple of days after launching. I moved the boat to my new marina the day after launching.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info everyone. I talked to the yacht club and they told me it the launch was already paid for, I just need to talk to the old owner. I hope they will see my side. It kinda sucks that I cant get into the club right now, I want to get my new roller furling on and buff the hall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts