SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of a restoration. Most of my fittings on the deck leak. What kind of caulking do I use to repair the leak? I read 5200 is the best then I read dont use in some areas, use 4200, then I hear Silicone is a no no, but a boat MFG owner told me he uses silicone on all his boats. I dropped the mast to replace the wiring a few week ago so I removed the chainplates and cleaned/caulked with 5200, still leaks but not as bad. So I am kind of lost. I need to seal out the water even under load/stress of sailing so it must flex, but we all know that. So any ideas on the best solution? I think "Good old boat" March/April 2009 issue has a good idea on the chainplates which I will try.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Polysulphides. And application is more important than the goop. Prep area, apply, position fasteners but do not tighten. Wait. Wait. (until the goop is almost set). Then tighten fasteners, but not so much that all the goop pushes out. The idea is to make a custom gasket under each fitting.

Good luck.

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,440 Posts
Good stuff in those other threads. And whatever you go with, it shouldn't be 5200. 5200 is more of a glue and less of a caulk. Way too much holding power and not enough flexibility for the job of sealing deck hardware.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts