SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are quite a bit of posts on the internet about removing rudders. However, I have a Morgan 321 that I am trying to replace the cutlass bearing and need to drop the rudder. On this boat the rudder sits on a lower support.

Anyone out there know how to remove that type of rudder?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
444 Posts
In my Pearson there is a small cutout in the leading edge of the rudder. If you move the rudder all the way to the left or right it allows enough clearance to remove the prop, shady or bearing without dropping the rudder.

Just to be clear, is your's a full keeled boat with tiller steering?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I believe the Morgan 32 has skeg. If I've got this right, and the rudder doesn't allow access as the OP states, here's what we did on our boat with a skeg hung rudder.

1. dig a hole under the rudder.
2. Remove the shoe at the base of the skeg.
3. Unclamp the quadrant.
4. Drop it into the hole.
5. Do your thing.
6. Reverse the steps.

Good luck! It's a PIA but not as bad as it sounds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for the replies. I am certain that I need to remove the rudder. I unhooked the steering and with the rudder turned in any direction, the most I get is about a 2" gap from the leading edge of the rudder to the end of the prop shaft. The prop is about 3" deep, so it is very close but will not go.

I am going to try and remove the shaft from the coupler first, then remove the coupler from the area and then see if I can slide the shaft back to get the prop off. I am replacing the cutless bearing and repacking/replacing the stuffing box, so I need to pull the shaft anyway. Maybe that will work.

As a side question, the shoe on the bottom does not look like it unbolts. Could it have bolts bedded in the paint? I did not thoughly inspect, but it seems like it is all once piece.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. This is very helpful.

I will also write back once complete, as it might help others in the future.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
I am going to try and remove the shaft from the coupler first, then remove the coupler from the area and then see if I can slide the shaft back to get the prop off. I am replacing the cutless bearing and repacking/replacing the stuffing box, so I need to pull the shaft anyway. Maybe that will work.
Good luck with this job and do report back how it goes.

I tackled the same job on my old boat a while back, chronicled here:
2011, November 30th. Begin drive train rebuild | Odalisque
We foud that it was much easier to just cut the shaft then to mess around trying to separate shaft from coupling in that small uncomfortable space.
You will want a threaded prop puller tool, like a steering wheel puller from NAPA or other.
A brand new shaft hopefully wont cost more than $300, probably less in stainless.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the posts. I really hope I don't need to replace the shaft, but will cut if needed.

Also, thanks for the link. Now I know what I will be doing online the next few days. Ha Ha. Your site is inspiring and can't wait to see all you did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts