SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Redoing the electrical system and I need to figure out the amperage draw for the starter motor in order to size the battery, cable, slow-blow fuse, switch, etc. It''s a late-model Perkins 4-108. Any help appreciated!!
Thanks
Stacey
http://www.sailnamaste.com

· Registered
103 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our brand new DC system consists of a house bank of three 8D AGMs (with it''s own seperate ON/OFF battery switch, Blue Seas rated 300 amps continuous) and a SEPERATE starting battery (as yet not sized or purchased.)

The start battery is located close to the starter motor..I would say about 36-40" or so as the wire is routed.

We have been advised to install a SLOW-BLOW fuse in this circuit. Given what other people have told me, re: starter draw, I am assuming about a 250 amp slo-blo fuse. However I have not gotten any "hard facts" yet, just various opinions.

The battery switch is an ON/OFF (also rated 250 amps continuous? Or maybe I should go up to 300 amps?) is right there in that 3-4 foot cable to the motor.

This circuit is also connected to the house circuits via an "emergency parallel" battery switch (ON/OFF), as well as a battery combiner/isolator controlled by the Ample regulator for charge regulation.

My question is what size cable I need to use (at this point I am thinking 3/0 like I will be using for the house high-amp cable and windlass), and what size battery I want (various folks have advised Group 27 with high CCA...)

Thanks for any advise!

Stacey

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.