SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Reaction score
I can help you if you give me a little more information.
1. How many batteries will you be using.
2. Are you going to use this system for other electrical needs?
3. What is the distance from the battery to the starter. Including what distance there will be thru what ever isolater switch. (Perco multi position.)

For sure! You don''t use a fuse to the starter.

· Registered
100 Posts
Reaction score
Cool, Ok. 250 amps is a lot for a small diesel enginge that the starter is in good shape. 175 would be more like it. I still don''t like the idea of a slow blow fuse. It''s a bit complicated but amps increase when voltage drops. The intent of a slow blow fuse is to protect a circuit from momentary high amp surge such as when an electric motor starts to turn. starter motors continue to draw at high amps when working because they are momentary use devices. Simply it won''t work as you expect.
3/0 is a bit small to go that distance. 1/0 will better carry the load with out overheating even if the starter goes bad. Use for both pos and neg. Be sure to solder the lugs. a 27 group 750 amp hour battery will work fine. I use one each to start my olds 455''s.
Jim

· Registered
100 Posts
Reaction score
Hi George
I''m not standing at the local Wal-mart battery rack but i''m sure i''ve seen them there for about $49.95. they look the same as any 27. Group 24''s are usually 650 cca. There are some other automotive groups that have 850 cca but sell for more like $60.00. Only because i''ve had to deal with every type and brand over the last 35+ years. I have a little more savy about thier nature. With the exception of the very expensive gel cells, there is no differance between battery longevity, brand and type. Deep cycle''s don''t do any better at holding a charge than standard batteries. They confuse the consumer even more by rating them differently than standard batteries. They just cost more because they have have the word MARINE stamped on them. The rest is sales hype. The real indicator of a batteries ability to hold up to what ever use you''ll put it to is it''s weight. (LEAD) is what batteries are made of. The more lead, the more amps and life expectancy. It''s just that simple. i''ve had this conversation before. If you get 2 years out of what ever battery you buy you''ve been blessed. So why pay more. "Warranty" is only a sales gimmick.
Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.