SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a bit of a pickle here. My stove runs off of propane, until now I've kept the tank inside (yes I know this is bad and that is why I'm looking for a solution)
My boat (nor'sea 27) does not have a propane locker, nor do I have sea rails to attach tank holders to ( I have wire lifelines)
My best solution thus far is to have an external propane box (meeting regulations) placed just behind the mast, but now I have to route the pipe 10 feet aft, having to have it partially exposed either on deck or on the cabin overhead.
I'm looking for any useful suggestions.
I currently have two 5# tanks.
Full time cruising on the west coast after I get this issue sorted out.
Cheers

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Is there room to put them in the cockpit, aft, near the tiller? The sweep of the tiller makes the footwell there hard to use for feet anyway. If the cockpit is self-draining, that would allow any leaks to go overboard, no? The tubing could run along the corner of the cockpit seats and then through the cabin trunk to get down below. Don't forget a solenoid shutoff at the tank.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,451 Posts
I have seen some people attach a 20lb fiberglass tank directly to the pushpit rail. Remember that propane is heavier than air. Imagine that the tank is full of "water" and there is water leaking out of the tank (or simply spray the tank with a hose). If the water could pool anywhere on the boat (and I imagine that this would be the case if you mount a tank near the mast), then you have a bad situation.

·
Barquito
3,676 Posts
If your cockpit scuppers drain underwater, or ever get clogged (like mine), or your campanionway step is lower than the benches in the cockpit, leaking gas will flow down into the cabin. Same for the mast; if there is the slightest breeze from the bow (like if you were at anchor) the gas would flow back along the cabin and into the main hatch or the cockpit. It just isn't worth the risk in my mind. I would construct a stanchion to go on the stern like there would be if you had a stern rail (pushpit). Then you can mount the bottle hanging off the end of the boat.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
By the time propane gets blown a few feet by wind it's harmlessly dissipated

It's in perfectly still conditions you need to be sure the downward flow (just like a liquid) is going toward the water surface not collecting inside the hull.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,708 Posts
I pulled up all of the images and drawings that I could find of the Nor'sea 27. I am not sure whether this is a center cockpit or aft cockpit version. The center cockpit version has a space aft of the galley that a sealed locker could be constructed. On the aft cockpit version, it appears to be really difficult to find any safe location.

I don't even see a place on the exterior that would make sense to hang a tank.

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts